PDA

View Full Version : Kismet

proof
01-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Is there any way to run the Kismet software under Knoppix 3.6 or 3.7?
Ii get the same error message as the other users that try Kismet under 3.6. And I have no directory with a control file that the program is looking for at /proc/driver/aironet/ .... and when I try the "kismet -c orinoco,eth0,orinoco" I get the fatal error "Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl or use the newer style ...

ghaze
01-02-2005, 02:52 PM
"Could not find 'monitor' private ioctl

Orinoco drivers must be "patched" before they support
monitor mode.I guess the ones on knoppix aren't.
Kismet should work,ootb,with prism54,prism2,atheros
and possibly some others.You might have better luck
copying your kismet.conf file to /home/knoppix,editing,
and calling "kismet -f kismet.conf"
The auditor cd

http://www.remote-exploit.org/?page=auditor

has the patched drivers you need,I believe.

ZeD
01-02-2005, 06:05 PM
just to inform you: im running kismet with the orinoco drivers and its running fine ...

ghaze
01-02-2005, 07:50 PM
just to inform you: im running kismet with the orinoco drivers and its running fine ...
LOL
It always pays to read the README

proof
01-03-2005, 07:36 AM

and what knoppix version you use? 3.7?
some people at the forum say it works fine with 3.2 to 3.4 version of Knoppix but not with the 3.6 and 3.7
so thats why Im asking .. why is it so and how to fix it if possible.
Thanx :wink:

ZeD
01-03-2005, 12:55 PM
im running a prism2/3 card with knoppix 3.6 and 3.7. works both fine except it doesnt show the signal strength. but thats a driver problem, not a kismet problem i think.

teitoku
01-03-2005, 11:40 PM
and what knoppix version you use? 3.7?
some people at the forum say it works fine with 3.2 to 3.4 version of Knoppix but not with the 3.6 and 3.7
so thats why Im asking .. why is it so and how to fix it if possible.
Thanx :wink:

Exactly, 3.6 wouldn't work for me. Same errors and ****.
So I dug up 3.3 and it works. Looks like it's just something for Mr Knopper to fix.

proof
01-04-2005, 12:39 PM
im running a prism2/3 card with knoppix 3.6 and 3.7. works both fine except it doesnt show the signal strength. but thats a driver problem, not a kismet problem i think.

Its because the prism cards dont need any patch.. dont need anything to change.
So this means the orinoco driver in 3.6 and 3.7 is probably not patched. Or while it has a newer Kismet version the patch is not the right one.

I downlaoded the Knoppix 3.4 and Kismet works fine without any problem. They used a patched driver in it..
And I can open the dump file in Airsnort (there's some problem with capturing in airsnort).

Maybe I will try to download a 2.6 kernel use the kismet patch for orinoco and try it
but I dont know if its so easy to do that and how the Knoppix works with a common 2.6 kernel.. :?

pau1knopp
01-05-2005, 03:03 PM
I can confirm that Kismet with an Orinoco card chipset (COMPAQ QL110) DOES work with Knoppix 3.4 and does NOT work with 3.7. My Cisco card worked with neither version. One of my few complaints with 3.7 so far.

~pau1