PDA

View Full Version : Linking Knoppix with windows

Joutei
04-01-2003, 08:25 PM
How can I link those two system so that knoppix will see windows partitions?

IoN_PuLse
04-02-2003, 02:05 AM
Knoppix can see windows partitions. Even NTFS ones!

I have no idea what you mean by "linking" though.

aay
04-02-2003, 06:22 AM
I agree with IoN_PuLse. Are you trying to mount a partition off a local hard drive? Are you trying to access windows over a network? Please explain.

Joutei
04-02-2003, 06:47 PM
My problem is that knoppix should automaticly (i think) find windows partitons and place shortcuts to them on desktop, but in my case he haven`t found them. Also the cdrom isn`t accesible. How can i make them active (or something) that knoppix will see them. Thanks for quick replying to my problem. (sorry for my english)

IoN_PuLse
04-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Well it is supposed to, but how old is the system you are trying to use it with? Are your drives hooked up through IDE?

Joutei
04-03-2003, 04:53 PM
I`m using knoppix 3.1 and windows me. There both on the same hdd. The windows is installed on fat32 partition and knoppix on ext2 and i`m trying to acces fat32 partitions.

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Ah - you have done an installation to your hard drive and now the familiar desktop icons are no longer there. As root run cfdisk -

su
<password>
cfdisk /dev/hda (change 'hda' to whichever hard drive you wish to see).
Once you see your partitions you just need to mount them, here's an example:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda3 /mnt/win

I have no idea what mount points you have - you can see them like this:

cd /mnt
ls

I have no use for desktop icons myself but you can create them if you like. You'll likely need to edit your fstab but to find out what partitions are already mounted look at /etc/mtab.

IoN_PuLse
04-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Ah, I thought you were booting from the CD :)

That reminds me, I should probably mount my fat32 partition on my drive that has knoppix installed....I didn't even miss it :D

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 08:20 PM
That reminds me, I should probably mount my fat32 partition on my drive that has knoppix installed....I didn't even miss it :D

right on

Joutei
04-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks, that is what I had in mind but I have another question. When I mount a partition it effects only this session. How to make a partition mounted automatically after every boot? How to mount a CDROM and floppy disk?