PDA

View Full Version : Install Error

adamherb
01-02-2005, 07:52 PM
I was installing the debian form of knoppix, to with the bootloader to the /root instead of the /mbr, so that I could use a floppy to boot. I got 80% percent done, but then it got these error things, something about cant read the partition table. Then it went along forever, and then I noticed that it started going in circles, the same 2 lines over and over, something about a ceratain point on the drive. I might be not telling enough, but I dont have the exact error, but if anyone knows something.

mimes
01-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Your post is a tad bit vague, but lemme just say that if your partition table is messed up, look use the search function in this forum to see how a partition table should be properly partitioned. Second, I had the same kind of problem with the install stopping, so, I would recommend that you use the
no dma cheat code at the boot prompt. Worked for me, hope it works for you.
* In an EXTREME case, where you don't care about data loss on your hd, or have backed up everything on your hd, you may want to "zero" it. WARNING! This will wipe out all your data!

Harry Kuhman
01-03-2005, 07:22 PM
... use the
no dma cheat code at the boot prompt. Worked for me, hope it works for you.
...!
The proper form of the nodam cheat code is nodma, not no dma. The example that you gave would likely force dma on if it did anything (no is not a valid cheat code and hopefully would be ignored, I think dma is valid and forces dma on, which is the current default condition and so not needed).