PDA

View Full Version : I'm very new to Knoppix and need a lot of help...

Magaladon
01-03-2005, 01:53 AM
To make a long story short, I ran out of hard drive space while running XP and had it crash on me. My computer is an HP and didn't come with any XP disks, just an option to make recovery disks. While I still have those, I can only use them for a destructive system recovery. I tried doing a non-destructive recovery only to be told that I have a corrupt system file. Now I could do a destructive recovery, but I have about 40 gigs that I need to save. I have an HP dvd writer 200 and a copy of Knoppix 3.6 that a friend gave me but I have no idea how to do much of anything, least of all run programs. I feel lucky that I was actually able to get into the GUI. So, what do I do to start burning dvds? I tried running Nero from my program files but I really don't know how to get that to work. Any help is greatly appreciated as I am completely lost and clueless.

Magaladon
01-03-2005, 01:54 AM
I should probably mention that I'm running Knoppix in a non-burning cd drive.

pureone
01-03-2005, 02:26 AM
ok there is a cd and dvd burning program built into knoppix. click the K next to the penguin on the desktop click multi media, then click k3b cd and dvd burner. from there you will be able to burn anything on the disk and your hard drive. ive used this my self and it works but the cds can burn a few errors.

nero for windows will not work under linux but you can try running it with wine which is on the k start bar on the desktop. i would just try save the data to cd with k3b