PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Notice This?

jirah
04-01-2003, 10:44 PM
This had me flummoxed for a cpl hours, so I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
Using 3.2 from the 28march...when you use the KDE Control Panel to change your Xserver resolution (after creating your own root password of course), the Control panel will always default back to showing that you have a 640*480*8 destop even after you change the resolution, save your configuration and reboot the system. Is this a bug, or simply because the KDE Control Panel is always read directly from the cd and not from the pesonal configuration save?

jirah

jirah
04-04-2003, 06:03 AM
OK 50 some odd views and no one cares...guess its not that big of a deal.
I did have a look over the instruction doc for running KNOPPIX from a hd partition (not install) and tried it out. The doc stated just to copy the 700mb knoppix file to a hd partition and create a boot floppy that will scan for the file on boot. I found this method to create nothing but 'not found' errors and a 'boot panic' crash. Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that one should decompress or copy the CONTENTS of the ENTIRE .iso file to a hd partition and have the boot floppy recognise it on scan. Any comments would be welcome, I am new to the KNOPPIX following and would appreciate any words of wisdom concidering this. I have previously tried a FULL Debian install from the full cd set, but found this to cause nothing but HUGE lilo conflicts with ntfs partitions and horrible problems with my gf4 and XFree86 on a KT333 motherboard. So Knoppix is almost the perfect solution for the features of Debian but without the headache.

jirah

Dave_Bechtel
04-04-2003, 08:44 PM
--You have to copy j:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix. You are copying the compressed file to a "known" directory on HD so the floppy can find it easily - not the whole iso.

OK 50 some odd views and no one cares...guess its not that big of a deal.
I did have a look over the instruction doc for running KNOPPIX from a hd partition (not install) and tried it out. The doc stated just to copy the 700mb knoppix file to a hd partition and create a boot floppy that will scan for the file on boot. I found this method to create nothing but 'not found' errors and a 'boot panic' crash. Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that one should decompress or copy the CONTENTS of the ENTIRE .iso file to a hd partition and have the boot floppy recognise it on scan. Any comments would be welcome, I am new to the KNOPPIX following and would appreciate any words of wisdom concidering this. I have previously tried a FULL Debian install from the full cd set, but found this to cause nothing but HUGE lilo conflicts with ntfs partitions and horrible problems with my gf4 and XFree86 on a KT333 motherboard. So Knoppix is almost the perfect solution for the features of Debian but without the headache.

jirah

Henk Poley
04-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Wether I read the doc wrong or it was written poorly, I believe that it should clearly state that <snip>
Okay, that's the power of Wiki. If you think the docs are wrong or at least flawed, and you know the solution, you can edit them :-)

jirah
04-04-2003, 09:39 PM
The instructions to simply copy the knoppix FILE to a hd?:\Knoppix\Knoppix folder don't work, for whatever reason, there isnt enough info in that one 700meg file to complete the boot...tonnes of errors occurr...I thought perhaps that copying the entire KNOPPIX folder from the iso into a hd?:\KNOPPIX folder would work...but that did not work either...same errors, same boot panic failure...so eventually I found that in order for it to work I had to decompress the entire ISO to the root hd?:\ in order for the boot floppy to properly load Knoppix off of that partition. If the other methods worked for ppl then thats great, but they didnt work for me, so that is what i had to do in order for the method to boot, so that I could have access to my cdrw drive whilst inside knoppix

jirah

Dave_Bechtel
04-04-2003, 09:58 PM
--There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk?

The instructions to simply copy the knoppix FILE to a hd?:\Knoppix\Knoppix folder don't work, for whatever reason, there isnt enough info in that one 700meg file to complete the boot...tonnes of errors occurr...I thought perhaps that copying the entire KNOPPIX folder from the iso into a hd?:\KNOPPIX folder would work...but that did not work either...same errors, same boot panic failure...so eventually I found that in order for it to work I had to decompress the entire ISO to the root hd?:\ in order for the boot floppy to properly load Knoppix off of that partition. If the other methods worked for ppl then thats great, but they didnt work for me, so that is what i had to do in order for the method to boot, so that I could have access to my cdrw drive whilst inside knoppix

jirah

boehmb
04-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Copy the \Knoppix directory to the ROOT directory of your hard drive. If you put the Knoppix directory in a folder, the boot floppy will not find it.

jirah
04-05-2003, 06:01 AM
-There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk? -

Aye...I actually made two boot floppies, one with the mkfloppy.bat and one manually with rawrite2, neither one worked with the original hd copy method, but both worked with the entire iso on the hd?:\ root.

jirah

garyng
04-05-2003, 07:14 AM
Yup, C:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX(the 700MB file) is all you need, which is equivalent to your entire ISO content at c:\

-There's *gotta* be something wrong with your method. Did you use the ' mkfloppy.bat ' file to make your boot disk? -

Aye...I actually made two boot floppies, one with the mkfloppy.bat and one manually with rawrite2, neither one worked with the original hd copy method, but both worked with the entire iso on the hd?:\ root.

jirah

Dave_Bechtel
04-05-2003, 11:59 PM
--LOL... The rating is based on the number of posts to the forum. At this rate you should be helping ppl based on *your* responses. 8)

How come I become a KNOPPIX master when all I have done on this forum is asking how to solve my problems ?

Henk Poley
04-06-2003, 12:41 PM
btw, I've edited PoorMansInstall (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall). So nobody should make this mistake in the future...