PDA

View Full Version : Soundblaster and Live Knoppix (module not loading) Help!

Budman21901
01-03-2005, 05:09 AM
New to Knoppix, and i must say this little CD is freakin' amazing!! My problem is i have no sound. My soundcard is a Soundblaster Audigy ZS. Running soundcfg finds my exact card, but at end of configuration i get this error.

"The Module used for your card emu10k1.o is not in your module search path. Please verify your kernel modules are correctly installed"

I read some man pages on modules, and found out how to Load the module, but i get this.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ /sbin/modprobe emu10k.o
modprobe: Can't locate module emu10k.o
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$

Am i doing something wrong? How do i get this module, and get it installed so i have sound?? Thanks for any help.

stukennedyuk
01-03-2005, 10:16 PM
If it's any help, I have that module in directory:-

/lib/modules/2.4.26/kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/

If it's missing from there, that may be your problem. If it is there, then modprobe doesn't seem to be looking in ht eright place!

w0lfie
01-05-2005, 04:54 AM
emu10k1.o is in the folder you specify, but sound counfig says the module is not in my search path. how do i know what my search path is? is there a way to change it?

rrfish72
01-05-2005, 05:09 AM
Try reinstalling it with modconf. Also navigate to here Select kernel/sound/oss modules and go to

sb - 100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support

and add this module for added soundblaster support.. I also added the i810_audio for further support. I don't know if they will help but you can give it a try. There are also modules that you can check out.

w0lfie
01-05-2005, 05:27 AM
thanks for the VERY fast response!

sorry. i should have said i was using the alsa code rather than OSS. I tried a couple of other things, but i forgot which ones (d'oh!)

sound is working now. just not MIDI.
I'm searching the forum for MIDI help, but do you happen to know any tricks?

I'd love to get right to installing soundfonts, rosegarden, etc... but i gotta take baby steps!

edit: i don't know... maybe it's using OSS. When i whent into "sound System" and just chose OSS it worked fine. but when i chose ALSA, I got an error. hmmm...

rrfish72
01-05-2005, 05:40 AM
There are alsa modules that you can check to see if they work. But here is the one listed above by stukennedyuk.

Select updates/alsa/pci/emu10k1 modules:
snd-audigyls - (No description available) │
│ snd-emu10k1-synth - (No description available) │
│ snd-emu10k1 - (No description available) │
│ snd-emu10k1x - (No description available)
There is also an emu10k1 that does not use alsa kernel/sound/oss/emu10k1.
Any of the above might help, check out modconf.

shah
01-05-2005, 11:43 AM
When you do a modprobe........you don't put the extension of that file.
What you should do is:
su
modprobe emu10k1

:D

w0lfie
01-06-2005, 01:57 AM
<smacks forehead>
Thanks shah!