PDA

View Full Version : Viewing DVD

gatzke
04-01-2003, 11:34 PM
Is there a easy way to get a Knoppix install to view encrypted DVDs?

I read that you can install libdvdcss if you install Knoppix to the hard drive, but this doesn't help those that don't want to install to hard drive.

I would rather not go through the trouble of rolling my own iso.

Could I download a libdvdcss binary, install it in my home directory, and then set up the correct paths and such so that xine or ogle work? I am somewhat clueless on how to actually do this.

I would assume that people probably do not want to customize knoppix with libdvdcss by default to avoid legal problems, but it would be nice to add these types of capabilities easily.

Thanks!

Ed

aay
04-02-2003, 12:01 AM
I haven't gotten this to work in Knoppix, but there is a live CD that does include libdvdcss: Linuxconsole

http://linuxconsole.tuxfamily.org/

The current version will play dvds with mplayer. I posted a suggestion that the author add ogle, because it gives dvd menu support and he said that he would add it in the next release.

Another nice thing about LinuxConsole is that you can boot the cd from your dvd player, start mplayer, remove the cd and put in a dvd and play it - pretty cool.

It doesn't have as many apps as Knoppix but it plays dvds and has some cool games too. I has built in support for Nvidia drivers. All in all it's pretty nice.

gatzke
04-02-2003, 02:03 AM
So I started working to fix this myself.

I downloiaded the libdvdcss .dev file and used "alien -g libdvdcss.deb" to extract the library then coppied it into my /home/knoppix directory

I set up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

And xine seems to not complauin about dvd encryption. It even goes through the VOB tracks and looks for keys, but I cannot get it to play.

I did try mounting the dvd drive as /mnt/dvd and soft linking to /dev/dvd

If I do not set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH I get the copy protection screen, but nothing more.

Thoughts?

gatzke
04-02-2003, 05:22 AM
I finally got dvd playback working nicely for knoppix without a hd install. What I did:

Boot knoppix in your cdrom (not dvd)

Download libdvdcss****.deb

to extract the executable, run:
alien -g libdvdcss****.deb

this makes a subdirectory containing the library. copy the library to /hom/knoppix

run the following:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Change to the boot prompt using CTRL-ALT-F2

Run passwd to set the root passwd

Go back to KDE by CTRL-ALT-F5

in a terminal, switch to root with su

As root, remove the sym link in /dev:
rm /dev/dvd

Put in a dvd

Make a mount point
mkdir /mnt/dvd

Mount the dvd
mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd

add a sym link
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd

change your DMA settings for the dvd drive
/sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdc or maybe:
/sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdd

Go back as a user and fire up xine, it should work!

Who says linux is difficult to use?

Ed

aay
04-02-2003, 05:44 AM
gatzke,

Thanks for posting the info on this. I wrote the faq for setting up dvds to play on the hd and i may add this info too. cool!. Have you tried Ogle? I always found that it worked a lot better than Xine.

gatzke
04-02-2003, 02:45 PM
I could not find Ogle on the 3.2 knoppix distribution. It was not in the multimedia Kmenu area next to xine, and it was not in the default path. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

Since I did not do a hard disk install, I can't just apt-get the pakcage.

I also did not see mplayer in my intall.

If I am wrong on these, please let me know where to look.

Henk Poley
04-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Cleaned it up a bit, almost script-able:

Download libdvdcssXX.deb

$alien -g libdvdcssXX.deb
$cp libdvdcssXX/*.o /home/knoppix/ (copy the library to /home/knoppix, is this right? )
$export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/knoppix:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$sudo su
[$passwd] (not needed?)
$rm /dev/dvd (as root, remove the sym link in /dev)

Put in a dvd

$mkdir /mnt/dvd (make a mount point)
$mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd (mount the dvd)
$ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/dvd (add a sym link)
$/sbin/dparam -d1 /dev/hdX (change your DMA settings for the dvd drive)

Fire up xine (ogle?)

Ready put in the docs?

Anyways, ever looked at Movix (http://movix.sf.net)? The next version of K3b (1.9.0) is able to burn 'data', 'audio', 'mixed' and 'movix' CDs. :-)

aay
04-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Looks like Ogle has been removed from 3.2. I hadn't noticed before.

gatzke
04-02-2003, 04:24 PM
When you run alien, it creates a directory libdvdcssXX.orig The libdvdcssXX is in a subdirctory, like ./libdvdcss-2.5/usr/lib Still, most users should be able to follow the script you wrote up.

In my case, you link /dev/scd0 to /dev/dvd because the dvdr acts like a scsi disk for writing. You may be able to get away with:
ln -s /dev/hdX /dev/dvd

So far I like the feel of knoppix, rather than look at other alternatives that seem like special purpose versions.

aay
04-02-2003, 04:35 PM
Looks like someone else has been working on this too:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1522&highlight=