PDA

View Full Version : Teeny tiny mouse pointer -- fixed!

bitey
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
I've got a poorman's 3.3 running on a PII ThinkPad, and it works great. Problem is, I can't figure out how to change the mouse pointer so it's bigger.

I imagine I'll need to add some commands to knoppix.sh to remove the link to the cursor file, then replace the link with a cursor file of my own. But which file is it? And is there a ready-made replacement?

Please help, this is driving me nuts!

bitey
01-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Okay, I found something that works pretty well. The arrow pointer and I-bar are big, but some pointers (like the hand) stay the same size as before. I'm happy with it anyway, so perhaps others will find it useful.

I started by right-clicking /etc/X11/Xsession and opening it with kedit. Just before the line:

# sanity check; is our session script directory present?

I inserted this:

export XCURSOR_SIZE=64

That "64" is pretty big, but I haven't experimented with other values. I saved the file in /mnt/hda1; it could also be saved to a floppy.

I then made a knoppix.sh file containing this:

rm -f /etc/X11/Xsession
cp /mnt/hda1/Xsession /etc/X11/Xsession

To do this with a floppy, you'd use:

rm -f /etc/X11/Xsession
cp /mnt/floppy/Xsession /etc/X11/Xsession

Now I boot with the myconf (or floppyconf) cheat code so the modified file gets copied on startup.

CrashedAgain
01-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Another way: edit /etc/alternatives/X-cursor-theme. Just comment out the 'inherits=' line & your system will revert to the default medium sized black standard X cursor.