PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.3 file needed

tempestuous
01-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Does anyone still have Knoppix 3.3 laying around? I would really like to get the file /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/misc/ndiswrapper.o from Knoppix 3.3.
This file is only 120Kb so it's crazy to download the whole 700MB, especially when my internet account allows me 200MB per month. And the Knoppix resellers here in Australia don't keep old versions.

I am trying to get a prism2-based usb wireless adapter working in Luit Linux. Luit is one of the many "mini" derivatives of Knoppix, and it has the 2.4.22-xfs kernel.
The linux-wlan-ng drivers refuse to work.
ndiswrapper looks like it will work, but I have the wrong kernel module file, and it complains about this mismatch.

Any suggestions would be welcome, too.
My email is craigs@pobox.com
Thanks
Craig S

Harry Kuhman
01-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Does anyone still have Knoppix 3.3 laying around?...
I have some 3.3 CD's around. Don't have the original ISO but should be able to get the file you need from the CD. I'll contact you by private messages to get contact information.

ladymoose
01-04-2005, 06:39 AM
I don't think I have the file, but anyways, you so need a new ISP. No offense or anything, but even a 5GB dl limit is too small. :p

Harry Kuhman
01-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Ok, here's the problem: I booted Knoppix 3.3. In /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/ there are directories "build", "kernel", "net", "pcmcia", and "usb", but no directory "misc".

tempestuous
01-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Sorry everyone, I was looking at a hard drive install of Knoppix 3.4 on which I must have installed ndiswrapper, because I can't find it on the 3.4 CD.
So it looks like I will have to download Knoppix 3.3, install to HD, then install ndiswrapper.
Sorry for the trouble.

tempestuous
01-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Well there's a happy ending to this messy problem - to avoid the long-winded process of compiling the correct modules for Luit's 2.4.22-xfs kernel, I took some drastic action.
I upgraded Luit's kernel to 2.4.26 in a very ugly fashion by deleting its kernel file plus modules directory, then replaced them with those from DamnSmallLinux.
I half expected boot failure or kernel panic ... but no, it all worked! And with the new kernel, the linux-wlan-ng drivers now work great!