PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.1 and hp compaq laptop nx5000

realman
01-04-2005, 01:18 PM
hello guys,
i have got knoppix 3.1 and i've tried it using another PC and its working perfectally but whan i tried to run it in my hp nx5000 laptop i can see the boot prompt but when i press enter button the screen becomes black and nothing happen so i could not boot it i don't know why, so please help me becaus i need it urgently.

my main OS is WIN XP PRO and i have only one partioin HDD 60 GB

thank u in advance

WoofDeF
01-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Have you tried selecting boot options with F2 and typing 'knoppix failsafe' at the boot prompt? If knoppix is compatible with your laptop it will then boot but with no graphics, usb, peripherals, apm, apci or anything else at all swtiched on ie into command-line mode only.

If you get that far, you can then reboot trying different F2 boot options (which they call 'cheatcodes' here - read that screen you get with F2 carefully) eg knoppix vga=normal and/or noapm etc etc until you get the winning combination. You might also have to enter various framebuffer options for your screen resolution to make the screen look right. Search the board for examples.

BUT I have to tell you I'm having the same problem with the desirable (and cheap) HP Compaq nx9105, which I really want to buy, and I can't get that to boot in failsafe mode, and I'm really pissed off.

realman
01-05-2005, 05:23 PM
thanks WoofDef for replying i tried to use failsafe and it was improving the situation one step forward but now i see some stak and the line which i can see and nothing after
"In idle task -not syncing"

please help me

WoofDeF
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
nothing after
"In idle task -not syncing"

That's beyond my level of knowledge.

HOWEVER as I've been told recently: Knoppix 3.1 is very old. Your laptop is a newish model. Try different versions of Knoppix.

You might try Knoppix 3.7 with the 'knoppix 26' boot option (switches on the 2.6 kernel) - at least that's what I've been told to try: http://www.r3000forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=655&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

I don't know but Kanotix might also be worth a try - it is reputed to be more successful for laptops.

Sorry but there's annoyingly little information around on current laptop models and Knoppix (as I've discovered) -- it's a real pain in the butt.

realman
01-08-2005, 04:27 PM
thanks man for help...........
i will try to get a newre versition of knoppix

unamiccia
01-25-2005, 04:26 PM
Knoppix 3.7 works just fine on an nx5000. I boot with "knoppix26" to get the 2.6 kernel, but for all I know the 2.4 kernel works too.

fpd
02-10-2005, 06:41 PM
A black screen (in SuSE) is an indication of XF86Config containing incorrect information about your screen. If you can not boot to Runlevel 3 (text only) use LiveCD and mount the hard disk read/write. Change to /etc/X11 directory and look around for XF86Config* You should see a file with .original hanging around. Make a backup copy the file with .conf extension, and then copy the .original over the .conf file.

Another way is to boot to safe mode, and then configuring the screen.