PDA

View Full Version : Need modem help

crhoff
01-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Can't configure modem because there is no modem item in the internet menu. Am using a V92 Robotics hardware modem which is on comm 5 in Win XP. Is the problem the comm port? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Crhoff

rrfish72
01-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Did you try to configure your network card? What did you try to get it working? Is this a hd install or running from live cd?

crhoff
01-05-2005, 12:53 AM
I don't have a network card, just a dial up modem. And I don't know how to configure it since there is no modem item under Network/Internet.

rrfish72
01-05-2005, 05:02 AM
Sorry, I don't use dial up and have never had linux configured to use it either, I am one of the unfortunate ones that have a winlucent modem.

rusty
01-06-2005, 05:08 AM
We need to know a little more about the modem. Is it a PCI (internal) or usb or serial modem. If it's external try some of the other ports in KPPP (K->Internet->Connect->KPPP. Internal modems tend to be a bit tricky.

HTH (Hope This Helps)

eon
01-06-2005, 09:01 PM
I use internal and external modems with all the distros I run.

You need to open a terminal (shell) and su to root
then type "pppconfig" and the enter key; follow the text based installation
program. If you have a com5 modem then the linux address
for that is /dev/ttyS4 (that's a uppercase "S") pppconfig will try to locate your modem
automatically but if it doesn't it gives you the chance to enter it manually.

After you save the configuration and exit then open kppp and click on set up
or configure. You will need to enter your info there too, and you will need to select
the modem under the device tab. If you still have problems provide the error
messages.

Good luck