PDA

View Full Version : how to enable remote access using ssh

bbrother
01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I have the knoppix hdd install and i want to enable remote access to the computer using ssh. ( I want to be able to log on and access files and such from school). How to I enable this.

eco2geek
01-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Look in /etc/init.d for an entry named "ssh" (or similar -- I'm running from Kanotix, not Knoppix). It's the ssh daemon. To run it once, get root and type:

/etc/init.d/ssh start

To have it run each and every time you start your hard disk installed Knoppix, try (as root):

update-rc.d ssh defaults

(I'm not 100% sure that'll work, but it ought to.)

If your home computer is behind a router that does NAT, you will probably have to open up port 22 using your router's configuration tools.

Markus
01-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Perhaps off topic but make sure you have good passwords before starting any listening services that allow logins.
If you have trouble making one up do: apt-get install apg

garyng
01-05-2005, 07:46 PM
remote access through ssh is quite different from remote accessing files on your machine(though they could be related). With ssh, you can only use scp/sftp(quite primitive I would say) to pass files. It is more geared towards working on your machine remotely, rather than for accessing files remotely.

Markus
01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
As he said he's accessing it from school it probably means windows. Yes, no?
If yes, WinSCP is a handy tool for filetransfers and works with ssh. A similar linux version might be secpanel.

markb
01-05-2005, 10:57 PM
remote access through ssh is quite different from remote accessing files on your machine(though they could be related). With ssh, you can only use scp/sftp(quite primitive I would say) to pass files. It is more geared towards working on your machine remotely, rather than for accessing files remotely.
For your info garyng, I work using ssh all day every day but I rarely use scp or sftp to copy files. To copy files I use rsync which is a brilliant tool and will work over ssh. Rsync does differential copying so you can copy/sync huge directories/files over the internet very efficiently.

markb
01-05-2005, 11:02 PM
If yes, WinSCP is a handy tool for filetransfers and works with ssh. A similar linux version might be secpanel.
Probably the most popular ssh suite for windows is PuTTY (free software). I used PuTTY for years (until I recently dropped windows completely).
PuTTY comes with pscp.exe and psftp.exe which work fine.

Markus
01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Probably the most popular ssh suite for windows is PuTTY (free software). I used PuTTY for years (until I recently dropped windows completely).
PuTTY comes with pscp.exe and psftp.exe which work fine. Sure but WinSCP is drag 'n drop whereas pscp is CLI. That said, I prefer sftp :)