PDA

View Full Version : Linux Software to Copy Audio CDs to HD?

sakiZ
01-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Knoopix-ites,

No problems to report today. I just have a Linux software question. What software programs are people using to copy audio tracks from CD to the hard drive?

Now that I have Knoppix nicely set up on my HD, I'm looking to wean myself off of Windows. Windows Media Player 10 is pretty good.

On my Knoppix set up Kaffeine does a great job PLAYING my media files. And K3B looks likek a shoe in to replace Nero. But I am missing a method to simply copy tracks (not an image) off of an audo CD.

Any suggestions?

sakiZ

mmaki
01-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Try this:
http://people.fruitsalad.org/lauri/competition/audio-cd.html

greenfly
01-06-2005, 08:41 AM
I like using grip for ripping audio from CDs. It comes packaged with pretty much any distribution, and acts as a front-end for cdparanoia (and a number of cd rippers) and lame (and a number of mp3/ogg encoders). It's pretty easy to use, especially once you set a few things up. I like setting it up to auto-rip new CDs upon insertion, and to auto-eject when finished, it makes it really easy to rip your entire CD collection that way.

CrashedAgain
01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Konqueror can do this. see:

http://www.math.temple.edu/usr/share/doc/packages/suselinux-userguide_en/html/ch16s04.html

You may have to install kio plugins to get the audiocd protocol.

locutus
01-07-2005, 05:56 AM
K3B will work, I used it a couple of weeks ago to rip some xmas CDs we picked up over the holidays.

I think the trick was to put the audio CD in, start K3B, and then click on the CD icon in the left top window
area. Then you should see stuff in the right top section where the songs are listed and some controls
should be visible for copying the files to disk. If you've got an mp3 encoder you can even burn some
mp3 while you're at it.

Cheers.

sakiZ
01-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Wow, I can't wait to get home to try that K3B trick.

The answer was right there all the time!!!

sakiZ

CrashedAgain
01-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Konqueror is easier & will convert to mp3. Just tried it.
Put in the cd, go to 'services' on the navigation sidebar, select 'mp3' under the 'audiocd' tab to display the cd contents then copy & paste the selection to the HD.

styven
01-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi all,

Have finally managed to copy cd to hdd thanks to this post..................

Still not a happy boy though, can k3b display the track listing by title and how do i transfer this playlist to my media player (kaffeine at present).
As it stands i can get the files into the player and play them but they are listed as title unknown and kaffeine does not even identify the album, can these files be imported as a folder.

Also tried to use konqueror as mentioned but could not find "services".

Steve.

styven
01-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Me again,

Have found services....read the link!!!

have tried to use the Konq route, but get the following error message.............

Protocol not supported
audiocd

Also in the control centre i did not have the option to go to Audio cds, it is not in the drop down menu aftersound & multimedia, does this mean i cannot get track info or can k3b do it some way.

Steve

jehan60188
01-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Hey, I'm trying to do the Konquerer way, aswell, and I got the same problem!
I think it's because I don't have LAME (a codec, I think) I poked around and found that LAME can be downloaded in a .tar.gz format. How do I use that format? Like, what do I do with that download?

More info: http://www.mp3-tech.org/programmer/programmers.html about half way down the page.

styven
01-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

Am getting somewhere all be that somewhere is getting me more frustrated......................please help before i lose the plot!!!!!!!!!

Have managed to get cds to hdd, with title and listing, and then into kaffeine playlist. My frustration is that all i have in that playlist is a list of tracks albeit blocked by album. I do not seem to be able to select an album individually, any ideas.

cheers steve.

CrashedAgain
01-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Me again,

Have found services....read the link!!!

have tried to use the Konq route, but get the following error message.............

Protocol not supported
audiocd

Also in the control centre i did not have the option to go to Audio cds, it is not in the drop down menu aftersound & multimedia, does this mean i cannot get track info or can k3b do it some way.

Steve

'apt-get install kdemultimedia-kio-plugins' should get the audiocd protocol. You may also need the kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins package.

sakiZ
01-12-2005, 05:56 PM
OK,

I used Greenfly's tip and installed Grip. Wow, this Knoppix thing just keeps getting better and better. Look out behind you Bill Gates!!

I've got the sound cookin but I want to one more little thing.

In Windoze I can and DO run my sound blaster in surround sound 5.1 mode. I would like to do this in Knoppix.

Is there any config or utility that will let me do this in Knoppix?

sakiZ