PDA

View Full Version : WMA in xine

haitower
01-05-2005, 11:20 PM
I'd like to know how i can run .wma archives in my xine video player.

My xine version is 0.99.1 (included in knoppix 3.4)

I've looked for codecs topics but i have found nothing.

I'm new at linux world and I don't know if exists another way of run that kind of extensions.

Thanks

haitower
01-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Sorry:

.wmv

UnderScore
01-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I don't know if this will get you exactly what you are looking for however, these steps will enable Debian to download & install media codecs & programs.
According to http://debian.video.free.fr/
As root user, open up the /etc/apt/sources.list file in a text editor.
Add the following three lines to the bottom.

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ stable main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ testing main
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
Then run the command apt-get update to refresh the package repository. Use aptitude, synaptic, or kpackage to install the programs & codecs.
I hope this helps.
James

jehan60188
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
hey, so I added those lines, and then I ran kpackage, I don't really know how kpackage works. what's the next step?

CrashedAgain
01-18-2005, 04:31 AM
add those lines, then run 'apt-get update' to update your package lists, then you can install apps. For an overview of installing apps, see: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14977

aay
01-18-2005, 02:21 PM
hey, so I added those lines, and then I ran kpackage, I don't really know how kpackage works. what's the next step?

Now that you have updated your sources.list with the above mentioned repositories do the following.

apt-get update

apt-get install w32codecs

Then everything should work. I would go ahead and install mplayer as well since it's a very nice media player. Morover you can download some nice frontends to mplayer. I like kplayer.

Adam

fpd
12-25-2005, 10:43 PM
aay

I know this is a year late, but I just tried apt-get update and then apt-get install w32codecs but I keep getting errors.
I added the ...marillat... lines to /etc/apt/sources.list and they seem to be my problem. How do I dig into ...marillat... to find the correct path?

root@xbox:/home/box# apt-get install w32codecs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net stable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net testing/main Packages(/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list ftp://ftp.nerim.net unstable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.nerim.net_debian-marillat_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Couldn't find package w32codecs
root@xbox:/home/box#

Thank you.

fpd
12-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Here's what I found on the nerim web site that will work (as of today!):

Add to the above information for i386 and sparc packages, edit your /etc/apt/sources.list

Substitute (sarge) for (stable)
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main

Substitute (etch) for (testing)
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main

Substitute (sid) for (unstable)
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sid main

The codecs are downloading as I speak! This is cool!

sakiZ
12-27-2005, 05:39 AM
There is a little plug in for XMMS. XMMS-WMA I'm using 1.03.

It's easy to find on the web.

You don't even need to "install" it. I downloaded it, unpacked it. Then dragged the plugin to the proper XMMS folder:

/usr/lib/xmms/Input

When XMMS starts, just enable it.

sakiZ