PDA

View Full Version : HP Pavilion laptop won't load 3.4-3.6... Help!

Matrox462
01-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to boot Knoppix 3.6 on my HP Pavilion laptop, and it won't work. :( V3.3 boots perfectly fine and runs perfectly fine. V3.4 doesn't work, nor does V3.6. I have yet to try V3.7... The laptop is a HP ze4125. It has an 1.4GHz Athlon XP w/ PowerNow, 512MB RAM. Here's what Knoppix does: At the boot screen, just hitting enter causes the screen to just go blank, and nothing happens. Putting "vga=normal" as a boot option allows one line of text to appear saying that the linux kernel is uncompressing and that it's done, and just doesn't load anything else. Putting "failsafe" allows Knoppix to load up fine until it tries to load graphics. As soon as it is about to enter a graphical interface, the screen just gets all scrambled (mostly just lines and colors). I'm guessing that the problem is from something with the graphics board on this laptop. It has a ATI Raedon Mobile (I think... I don't use this laptop for gaming!). Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Knoppix to boot? Any boot options I should try? Remember... I'm not very advanced with Linux. The most I can do is install linux and play around with it lol, which I've done plenty of times. Thanks in advance if anyone has any help!

Harry Kuhman
01-06-2005, 01:39 AM
knoppix noscsi acpi=off

Matrox462
01-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Wow! Worked like a charm!! Thanks a lot! :-)

Matrox462
01-06-2005, 04:12 AM
The only thing is... since I have to use "acpi=off", does that turn off power managment? I noticed it doesn't tell me battery power remaining. Also, can knoppix use the PowerNow speed stepping of the Athlon XP processor?

WoofDeF
01-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Kanotix BHX (a Knoppix derivative) has support for AMD cpu laptop power management built-in. Try that.