PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 WLAN PCMCIA Problem

DaSilva
01-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I have tested the newest version of Knoppix with my Notebook. Looks good but i can not use my PCMCIA WLAN card (Orinoco 802.11b/g Silver). It should be run on kernel 2.6 i think. I have not tested it with kernel 2.4. If i want to configure it with the integrated WLAN cofigurator it says no wlan adapter found or something like that. Can someone help me please? Please very simple because Iam a noob in this. THX

rgarden
01-09-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm running Knoppix 3.7 on a Dell latitude CPXI . I have an Orinoco B/G Gold card that I use with Windows, but it won't work with Linux . My research indictaes that there is only one WIFI card driver currently supported by linux, and that's something called the Lucent/Orinoco driver.. This driver is used in about a dozen pcmcia cards, but they are all "B" cards. The end result was that I went to Ebay and bought an Orinoco Classic Gold "B" card for $30, and that work's fine. These cards are also available new from an outfit called Fleeman Anderson & Bird (FAB) in Florida. When I got the new pcmcia card, I made no entries in WLan or any other internet program, knoppix saw the card and my unencrypted Linkys wireless router and set the card up automatically. I can see the card working in the Wavemon program.If you have made entires in Wlan in an attempt to get your B/G card working, that may prevent the "B" card from scanning.. I couldn't figure out how to reset Wlan, so I had to reinstall Knoppix (90 min job...not bad compared to Windows )

Your other alternaitve is to write a driver for the new B/G cards.
:roll:

arakele
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM
i had similiar issues regarding an orinoco 8460 a/b gold card. nothing but windows acknowledged it. i went on ebay and found an orinoco 8480-US and the ONLY distro is works off the bat is knoppix 3.7. I tried various other versions of *nix distro's and was unable to get the card to work. it uses the atheros chipset

paulrbarnard
01-25-2005, 03:08 PM
. My research indictaes that there is only one WIFI card driver currently supported by linux, and that's something called the Lucent/Orinoco driver.. This driver is used in about a dozen pcmcia cards, but they are all "B" cards.

Lots of cards are supported under linux. Right now I'm running a Linksys 54g card. I use ndiswrapper and the windows drivers. Do a google for ndiswrapper and you will find several howtos