PDA

View Full Version : WLAN PCMCIA Problem

DaSilva
01-06-2005, 03:18 PM
I have tested the newest version of Knoppix with my Notebook. Looks good but i can not use my PCMCIA WLAN card (Orinoco 802.11b/g Silver). It should be run on kernel 2.6 i think. I have not tested it with kernel 2.4. If i want to configure it with the integrated WLAN cofigurator it says no wlan adapter found or something like that. Can someone help me please? Please very simple because Iam a noob in this. THX

grant_vallance
01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
I have tested the newest version of Knoppix with my Notebook. Looks good but i can not use my PCMCIA WLAN card (Orinoco 802.11b/g Silver). It should be run on kernel 2.6 i think. I have not tested it with kernel 2.4. If i want to configure it with the integrated WLAN cofigurator it says no wlan adapter found or something like that. Can someone help me please? Please very simple because Iam a noob in this. THX

I believe there are some native drivers for the Orinoco, although its hard to know unless you can also tell me who makes the card and perhaps any futher details about the version of the card. However, I am no expert in how to get native drivers working because their is no native support for my chipset.

I use ndiswrapper and I can help you get that work for your card assuming you have the M$ drivers; i.e. the *.inf file.

Advice in a nutshell.

1. Assuming you have the M$ drivers; in M$ create a high-level directory -- say C:\Wireless
2. Put the M$ orinoco driver in this
3. In a console become root: i.e. su <return> -- the prompt should change from $ to # ...
4. Type: ndiswrapper -l /mnt/hda1/Wireless/<name-of-inf-file>.inf <return>
5. Type modprobe ndiswrapper <return>
6. Use the configuartion script you mentioned

Hopefully you are done.

There is a step-by-step guide that is perhaps too detailed under the sticky post: Success with Knoppix 3.6 and Ndiswrapper -- written by myself (its time I updated it).

But if you have futher problems, post again and I'll try and be of assistance.

Regards,

Grant D. Vallance