To be able to use my modem I need to add this line
setserial -v /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xb000 irq 23
to
/etc/init.d/setserial
but I don't know how to do this.
Also, these two lines seem to work in .login
su:password
ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
Again, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't know what .login is since I don't login
I'm really new to Linux and could use some help.

Thanks
crhoff

eon
01-09-2005, 03:31 PM
To be able to use my modem I need to add this line
setserial -v /dev/ttyS4 uart 16550A port 0xb000 irq 23
to
/etc/init.d/setserial
but I don't know how to do this.
Also, these two lines seem to work in .login
su:password
ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
Again, I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. I don't know what .login is since I don't login
I'm really new to Linux and could use some help.

Thanks
crhoff

At a shell you could do "vi /etc/init.d/setserial" which will open up an editor to add the line you say you want.

I'm wondering how you decided that the way you've put here is the way to get your modem working?
Have you tried the "pppconfig" script/program to set up your modem?
Do "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal. ( I'm assuming because you're posting here that you're running some version of knoppix)
Please provide more info on the linux you are using.

crhoff
01-11-2005, 09:00 PM
At a shell you could do "vi /etc/init.d/setserial" which will open up an editor to add the line you say you want.

I'm wondering how you decided that the way you've put here is the way to get your modem working?
Have you tried the "pppconfig" script/program to set up your modem?
Do "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal. ( I'm assuming because you're posting here that you're running some version of knoppix)
Please provide more info on the linux you are using.[/quote]

I'm using knoppix 3.7 I got the info from this form and a couple of others where people did this to get there 5610 modem working. Iv's since got it working by typing the following in a root shell.
cd /dev
rm -f modem
ln -s tty4 modem
Once I did the above then my modem would show up in the dialer.
For someone who has never seen linux, it seems like it's kinda hard to get things going, but I'm gaining on it.
For instance, "pppconfig" as root from a shell/terminal" A week ago that meant nothing, but now I think I know what it means.
Thanks
crhoff