PDA

View Full Version : Help with getting Internet Connection running

Mourdekai
04-02-2003, 09:02 AM
I am using cable internet service and am trying to figure out how to configure/setup my connection. I have a network adapter card in my computer that works through the phone lines in my house. I have my internet connection coming from a computer running windows xp and sharing the connection. I have no clue how to get this started/configured when I boot up Knoppix. Can anybody help me with this?

garyng
04-02-2003, 09:26 AM
does the cable modem connect to the machine running KNOPPIX or another computer ?

I don't quite understand when you said "I have a network adapter card in my computer that works through the phone lines in my house". Isn' it RJ-45 ?

Mourdekai
04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
The way this all works is long, laborious and confusing. It'll change in two months so I might just have to wait.

Here's the setup:

Cable internet comes into the cable modem. That goes out to a router. Two computers are connected to the router. One of the computers has internet connection sharing turned on. It has a phoneline adapter card in it. It's PCI card. From that computer it has a RJ-11 jack coming out with a phone cord that goes into a RJ-11 phone jack in the wall. Then in another part of the house, I have a phone card coming out of the wall into a RJ-11 jack in my computer with the same type of card.

In my device manager it is called: Broadcom iLine10(tm) Network Adapter

The product number is HPN200. It is made by Linksys. Here is a link to the exact product on their website. I still have the driver cd.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=33&prid=130