PDA

View Full Version : i cann't access my fat32 and ntfs partitions from knoppix

Pex_boa
04-02-2003, 09:21 AM
When i boot-up from knoppix-CD i can access my fat32 and ntfs partitions but when i install knoppix on to my linux ex2 partition on harddisk i am not able to see these partitions from knoppix, then again if i boot it from knoppix-CD i can access them again. What do i have to type down in shell to mount these partitions for example, or what else do i have to do? :(

Henk Poley
04-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Search these forums, AFAIK this question has been answered multiple times in a couple of different ways.

Check out what works and write it in the docs (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/) :-)

gcoker
04-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Make sure your partitions are mounted in /etc/fstab.

I usually throw in a couple of spare partitions. vfat partitions are good in a dual boot system. This allows reloading Knoppix whenever I want without wiping out my data. The first time, I have to make the file system (mkfs) on the partition.

I often use Knoppix in dual boot systems. Set the mount point in /etc/fstab. Also I have to make sure I have created the corresponding mount point in my file system.

With Linux you get exactly what you want. No more, no less. Or rather what you told it to do. And you can put the mount point anywhere in your file system. Pick a good name so you can remember it is your vfat data. If you forget anything, no data! At least you won't have to reboot!

Pex_boa
04-03-2003, 12:17 PM
thanks for help people, i worked it out, i edited /etc/mtab & /etc/fstab and now it's working well

rla
04-08-2003, 09:36 AM
thanks for help people, i worked it out, i edited /etc/mtab & /etc/fstab and now it's working well

It isn't necessary to edit /etc/mtab.
It will be generated automaticly and shows the status of all mounts.

RLA

rickenbacherus
04-08-2003, 04:48 PM

Thanks Pex_boa for taking the time and posting how you got Linux fixed.

Nikonian
04-10-2003, 06:39 PM

It isn't necessary to edit /etc/mtab.
It will be generated automaticly and shows the status of all mounts.
RLA

after my first Knoppix-HDD install all mountpoints are defined in the fstab, but are commented out!

#/dev/hda3 ext3 noauto......
just remove the comment or change also the mount parameters ant it works :)

rickenbacherus
04-10-2003, 08:20 PM
after my first Knoppix-HDD install all mountpoints are defined in the fstab, but are commented out!

#/dev/hda3 ext3 noauto......
just remove the comment or change also the mount parameters ant it works :)

That is a safety feature. If a partition isn't mounted you can't wreck the data that's on it. I personally do not want Knoppix to mount my other partitions.