PDA

View Full Version : can't get lilo to work

kebur
01-07-2005, 01:11 PM
First of all i would like to say Hello to all of you! :) as you can see i'm new on this forum and new to linux, so pls forgive me if i sound stupid at times :)

i just installed knoppix 3.7 on a partition of my hdd (i have XP on another partition). When it got to installing lilo , i got an eror : saying that the partition's label is too long.
it stopped at the lilo install (80 % i think) and said Knoppix HD install succesfull . I said ok, now let's see how it works :D so i restarted. To my surprize, it booted straight into win xp without asking me a thing. I imediatly came to this forum and started looking for answers. I found the solution in a similar topic: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15810 . i did what rrfish72 said (i also did what shah said :) ) but it still doesen't work ( it says it says Fatal : register_bios: volume id serioal no. duplicated: 317C4105)
this is the error: chroot /mnt/hda5 : no such file or directory .
If i try to do it without the chroot : /mnt/hda5/etc/lilo.conf doesen't exist. but it does exist, i can see it in the browser :))
please help me i've been trying all day to make this work :(

CrashedAgain
01-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Boot the CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' should boot up your Knoppix HD install, then you should be able to reinstall lilo from there.

kebur
01-09-2005, 02:17 PM
that didn't seem to work... so i installed mandrake :)) it works very good and lilo doesen't have any problem! thanks for your help anyway! cya