PDA

View Full Version : Windows file size limit and spliting files on the fly

milindck
01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
My video creation s/w crashes every time it tries to create data files past 4GB file size limit.

So I was thinking if there is any tool out there that can say emulate a drive linked to a folder (like SUBST) and then when you try to create files more than a specified size it will span across multiple files.

so actually the toll will work transparently and the application will never crash due to the size limit.

Also when the application tries to read this split file the tool transparently returns the file as if it was never split while actual data is still coming from the split files.

eg. I am trying to create a 10 GB file
I will setup this tool by
SOMETOOL filelimit=4GB <emulatedDrive letter> <actual physical location eg. c:\somedir>

jehan60188
01-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Hey, I work alot in digital video publishing, and I can only suggest that you compress the video. If I remember correctly, 4 gigs is big enough to hold 40 minutes of uncompressed video, so you'll be able to fit in much more compressed video. I know this isn't the solution you wanted, but it gets the job done...

milindck
01-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Jehan60188 for replying.

The problem I have is not with Capturing the AVI but when I try to encode the file.

I use Ulead Video Studio 6 and have also tried Pinnacle Studio 8.

I capture my footage (Aprox 20 min i.e. 4GB chunks on Pinnacle but Ulead does it transparently), edit it, apply transitions/menus but when I set these apps for overnight processing converting the footage to DVD. In the morning I find that both applications crash the only way I can hold then from crashing is shrinking the DVD footage to like 1:15 minutes and not being able to use the full capacity of the DVD.

Also I noticed that the temp file it created during this process was around 4 GB when they crash which kind of confirms that the problem is 4GB file limit with Windows ME.

The only solution at this time I feel is to upgrade my system to Windows 2000 or XP which I do not intend to invest in.

Thanks again.