PDA

View Full Version : USB Hardware detection problems

tricky
04-02-2003, 10:34 AM
I'm booting Knoppix from CD and I'm having problems using my USB keyboard and mouse. Knoppix boots fine with no errors if I autodetect the hardware, but I can't do anything once the desktop is loaded. I can't manually configure my hardware either, as once I've selected my boot options the keyboard is disabled.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

abc
04-02-2003, 01:37 PM
I have the same problem. I have usb keyboard and mouse on A7V333 from Asus. It seems that Knoppix (or Linux) has problem with this. I think there are several not so good way to work around the problem.

1. use PS2 keyboard and mouse
2. there maybe an option in BIOS that reads "usb keyboard at startup" or alike
3. use nousb. In this case, you won't have any usb mouse.

I tried running the usb stuff manual and I got whole bunch of message saying

usb_control/bulk: timeout.

I am seeking help on this too. But I guess it is the way knoppix (or Linux) is for now. With 2.6 kernel+hotplug maybe better.

Edwin Lau

RockMumbles
04-02-2003, 03:07 PM
Something to try; disable legacy usb in BIOS

rock

tricky
04-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Something to try; disable legacy usb in BIOS

I gave this a shot, but it just disables my keyboard before I can choose my boot options.

abc
04-03-2003, 10:57 AM
It didn't work for me. Does it work for u?

Edwin Lau

garyng
04-03-2003, 11:08 AM
have you tried KNOPPIX 2 and see if the keyboard is available in text mode ? If yes, it would be related to the XF86Config-4 file and you can google it as I read some where that something needs to be done to have these 'odd' device working in XFree86, mainly how to configure the XF86Config-4 file.

abc
04-03-2003, 12:17 PM
Yes, I did, but it didn't work unless I had nousb option. So i guess there are ppl with A7V333 and usb mouse and keyboard combo and have it working?

The only time I have my keyboard working is when I have nousb option. but in that case, I lost my mouse too.. :cry:

sometimes I also get an error message saying usbkbd modules can't be inserted.

and there are a couple of times, for some unknown reasons, keyboard and mouse work perfectly. but I can't really reproduce those results. I think it might has to do with the time the usb stuff is loaded. but I don't know.. really. :?

Edwin Lau

Shimbadze
04-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi, everyone!

I have the same problem.
My keyboard is Compaq USB and my mouse is Microsoft USB Intellimouse Explorer 2.0.
When I boot any other release than Knoppix 09-06-2002 BETA2, I cannot use them! :shock: :cry: :x

Please, advise me what to do!

__________________________________________________ _____________________

How Will I Laugh Tomorrow ... When I Can't Even Smile Today!

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 04:35 PM
When I boot any other release than Knoppix 09-06-2002 BETA2, I cannot use them!

That is very interesting to note. I wish I had a USB keyboard to mess around with.

tricky
04-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Now this is weird. If I boot nousb my mouse works perfectly until I touch the keyboard, when it cuts out. The keyboard never does anything after this point either.

gbnut
04-09-2003, 04:22 AM
I have the same problem as well (using Logitec usb mouse and keyboard). I read somewhere on a Mandrake forum (when I tried that distro) and there was something about "noapic"

When you are at the boot screen, type "knoppix noapic" (without the quotes).........this has worked for me......my only problem is that I don't remember what file to change, to add this to, so it is automatic.

Also, I can't get my printer (HP officejet V40) to work. It is a USB on a usb hub and when I install it under CUPS I get that the test print was sent to the printer, but nothing happens. NOW, I thought that I read somewhere as well, that the "noapic" command does something about the USB hardware detection, and this could be my printer problem.

I hope the above info will help any of you who have the mouse and keyboard problem. Please, if anyone knows of the problem that I'm having with the printer or knows how to get around the "knoppix noapic" command at boot, please let me know. Distro works, but would like it to automatic at startup.

Thanks

dmiller
04-09-2003, 09:12 AM
for my hp psc2210 I had to download and install hpijs from the hp website. This was the essential piece of glue to get the HP printer to work under knoppix. comes with instructions for how to install in linux and check if it is working.

to get my usb printer icon in Kprinting manager added, I got error message that the usbdevfs was not installed on running the printer install wizard and for my hdinstall had to add the following line to fstab
none /proc/bus/usb/ usbdevfs defaults 0 0
I am not sure why I needed this since I am a newbie. but it worked. the error message went away and my printer icon installed and my printer works just fine.

Summary,
suggest searcing the HP site for HPIJS .

rickenbacherus
04-09-2003, 07:53 PM
Thank you dmiller for posting what you did to solve your problems. No doubt it will help some other noob on down the line.

tricky
04-16-2003, 10:01 PM
When you are at the boot screen, type "knoppix noapic" (without the quotes).........this has worked for me......my only problem is that I don't remember what file to change, to add this to, so it is automatic.

Thanks for this, it seems to have solved the problem of my USB Keyboard and Mouse!

Now I just need to get my Fujitsu USB ADSL modem to work.....

lolo
05-31-2003, 11:55 AM
hello to all

cd konppix 32 10 mib,french and freeduc 3.1 beta 2

i find:

my logitech usb ifee mouse are hazzardly detected,
then i reboot from xp(windows) to knoppix 3.2 10 or freeduc3.2
the mouse are ok,(teted 10 *)
but if i boot directly from knoppix (power dow) the mouse are not find !!!
the autoconfigure bare are smaler then the mouse are not find
and i can see :
"usb device 2 is not claimed by any active driver"
(tested 10*)
the os continue to boot but no mouse are "usable" in the kde destop

secondo (sorry not a mouse bug)

the format of a floppy df0 are somme bug,
the format icone are not correct,
i must go to console and type
fd format /dev/fd0 to give a good format floppy disk

bye ave a good day...

Please don't cross post I have removed the duplicate. Stephen

ktheking
06-01-2003, 02:05 PM
Hmmmm. Let me guess . You're working on Packard Bell I suppose ?
These BIOSes are indeed very tricky .
You've gotta juggle around with 'reserve USB irq' ,the ACPI modus,PNP yes/no ,and legacy USB keyboard.
Beside that for a last try you try to free up irq (by disabling com and lpt ports,onboard audio etc.)
greetzzz...

NitroCrzy
06-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Same thing only the noapic switch didn't work for me. I know the myconfig=scan did however. Do I need to disable the legacy usb support as well as the command line?
Any help would be appreciated... thanks

ktheking
06-10-2003, 09:14 PM
:idea: :lol: :idea: :lol: found it :lol: :idea: :lol: :idea:

I've been messing around with multiple usb webcams and imagine what turns out:

When using multiple usb devices,the best thing to do is to put each device
on their own controller.
With webcams you'll get I/O errors else.
I said controller NOT usb entrance.
So first check if you motherboard has more then one onboard ,else you'll have to use an extra usb-pci card. :cry:
Nevertheless investing in an extra USB 2.0 card for 40$ is not the end of the world.

greetzzzzzz,

calpchen
08-28-2003, 03:57 AM
My system is a Shuttle XPC with the SiS chipset. My USB keyboard and USB mouse wouldn't work in Knoppix either. I got it to work by doing the following:

BIOS settings
Under "Integrated Peripherals" change the USB Access Interface from EDB Bus to PCI Bus. (I did this for USB0, USB1, USB2, and USB2.0.)

As for the KNOPPIX cheatcode, I used noapic but I'm not sure whether that had an effect or not. My guess is that the EDB Bus isn't being recognized properly by HotPlug.

BTW, in the motherboard manual, the EDB Bus is described as the "Embedded(MuTIOL) bus". (It also says it's supposed to be faster than the PCI bus.) I wonder what that is... Time to whip out Google.

Good luck!

-calp

xeerex
10-06-2003, 07:59 PM
I've had this same problem with my Compaq USB keyboard and optical USB mouse. I'll try the solutions suggested here.

Interestingly, the MEPIS live cd (which is based on Klaus's work) recognizes them with no problem. That is no slam on Knoppix as I love "playing" in linux with Knoppix.

godot
11-24-2003, 06:36 PM
I was able to solve the usb mouse detection problem by installing knoppix on my hard disk, set up gpm with the following configuration options: <gpm.conf>
device=/dev/input/mice
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=autops2
append=""
sample_rate=
</gpm.conf>, and by changing the XF86Config-4 file in the sections <ServerLayout> InputDevice "USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
</ServerLayout> and adding a new <Section "InputDevice">
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection
<Section "InputDevice">.

I have also automated this procedure adding a few symbolic links:
/etc/rc0.d/K20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc1.d/K20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc2.d/S20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc3.d/S20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc4.d/S20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc5.d/K20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc5.d/S20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm
/etc/rc6.d/K20gpm -> ../init.d/gpm

cu, g.

rivasmig
11-24-2003, 11:52 PM
I am a newbie and i have problems with Knoppix installed in my hdard drive, how can i install a driver for this USB card reader, and i canīt work either with mzip tools it doesnīt detecth my paralell Zip drive, some times at boot it gets frozens. Thank you for your help...

maxIT
07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
for my hp psc2210 I had to download and install hpijs from the hp website. This was the essential piece of glue to get the HP printer to work under knoppix. comes with instructions for how to install in linux and check if it is working....
Summary,
suggest searcing the HP site for HPIJS .

I searched but found nothing in HP site and still unable to print with my psc2210.
Any links or suggestions?

serene
07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Problem: Autoconfiguration Hangs endlessly on boot with Knoppix 3.9
Solved by: knoppix nousb (at boot)
Suspect: Newer PCI Express specification not recognized

Computer: Fujitsu N3511 laptop ( Brand New )

Question:
How can you manually load the USB drivers 'after' a 'knoppix nousb' boot option?

Question 2:
Has anyone gotten knoppix 3.9 running with a PCI Express featured system?

I was surprised to learn that the new PCI express spec also applies to the USB bus...
maybe this is a factor in Knoppix 3.9 failure to detect the USB properly???

I don't know if this applies, but here below are the results from a lspci:

root@0[knoppix]# lspci | grep -i usb
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)

root@0[knoppix]# lspci -vv -s 00:1d.0
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
Subsystem: Fujitsu Limited.: Unknown device 12e8
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
Latency: 0
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
Region 4: I/O ports at 1200 [size=32]