PDA

View Full Version : PocketPC syncing with SynCE and patching the kernel driver.

VeeDubb
04-02-2003, 10:49 AM
I need help.

The instructions at http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/usbpatch.php are for patching the kernel driver so that you can establish a usb connection to your pocketPC. The problem is that as far as I understand, this requries the kernel source. I can't make a working kernel source. I have tried for days and frankly after reinstalling linux 8 times in 72 hours, I'm not interested in trying again. Last time, which I thought went just fine, left my computer unbotable.

What I want to know, is if, judgeing by the instructions at the website above, there is some other way to add the appropriate lines to the kernel and how I can go about doing that. My vender ID is 413c and my product ID is 4001 At the moment my linux install is not bootable because of my last attempt at making a kernel and it will stay that way untill I have time for reinstall number 9.

I would appreciate any plain english help. Thanks in advance.

garyng
04-02-2003, 11:02 AM
from that page, you need to compile something, at least ipaq.o.

Seems that the linux design(based on this page) is real bad in terms of supporting this kind of device. fixing the kernel source(at least some header files) and recompile when there is new device type coming out of the market ? They should really borrow a page or two from M$.

VeeDubb
04-02-2003, 11:48 AM
I can't agree with you more, though in their defense, all USB devices broadcast a vender ID and Product ID that tells the opperating system what it is. The problem with PocketPC's is that each new device has a new and unique product ID. They don't all use one ID. So a new driver must be realesed with EVERY pocketPC. And in fact, even in windows, only a handfull of the 20 or 30 models produced are recognized without first installing an extra driver from the manufacturer.

garyng
04-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Yes, but in window you never need to touch the kernel, just drop in some driver files and some changes to the registry.

VeeDubb
04-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Agreed again.

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 06:16 AM
Yes, but in window you never need to touch the kernel, just drop in some driver files and some changes to the registry.

Perhaps, but that could be because they co-operate with m$ for fear of the m$ mafia!! It's true Linux does tend to lag in some areas- but just wait......m$ is pissing off customers at a faster rate every day and it won't be long - literally before Linux is the #1 OS shipped on new servers- it's only a matter of time from there fellas. Our local school district recently budgeted $650,000 for m$ licenses alone! Fortunately out local LUG is making a hell of a run at sending m$ packing with the help of awesome Linux tools like Knoppix!

"In a world without fences who needs Gates?"

garyng
04-03-2003, 07:57 AM
I don't want to see people switch to Linux because M$ pissed off the customers, I want to see people switch because it is a better product. I haven't studied the latest linux architecture yet but the need to hand code some ids in the source/header files in order to add new device(USB especially) is a definite no no to me.

Perhaps, but that could be because they co-operate with m$ for fear of the m$ mafia!! It's true Linux does tend to lag in some areas- but just wait......m$ is pissing off customers at a faster rate every day and it won't be long - literally before Linux is the #1 OS shipped on new servers- it's only a matter of time from there fellas. Our local school district recently budgeted $650,000 for m$ licenses alone! Fortunately out local LUG is making a hell of a run at sending m$ packing with the help of awesome Linux tools like Knoppix!

"In a world without fences who needs Gates?"

VeeDubb
04-03-2003, 08:10 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I must agree. Linux is vastly superior in many areas, but when it comes to hardware configuration, it doesn't hold a candle to MS. I still haven't gotten SynCE working, and I won't for a LONG time unless I find somewhere to get valid knoppix kernel source because I have proven beyond a doubt that it's beyond my abilities t this point in my knowledge of linux.

VeeDubb
04-03-2003, 11:08 AM
At the risk of stearing this back on-topic, It looks like the whole kernel doesn't need to be recompiled, just the ipaq.c and ipaq.h which I guess, compile together for ipaq.o

Anyway, all I need is a version of this file compiled from ipaq.c and ipaq.h files that have ben modified according to the website I posted above. Please, if there is anybod y that can either do this and send me the file or explain in plain english how it's done, I'd be eternaly greatful.

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 04:43 AM
Come on, somebody MUST know how to do this. Ive looked, but I can't find the answer.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Alright VeeDubb I don't know diddly squat about pocket pc's (even though I work for HP :) - what machine do you have exactly?

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 05:17 AM
I happen to have a Dell axim advanced.

The vender id is 413c
and the prduct ID is 4001

But frankly all I need is to know how to recompile JUST ipaq.h and ipaq.c into a new ipaq.o file without recompiling the wholebloody kernel. It should be a simple process. THe software is allready installed an running thanks to apt-get with an addition to the sources.list and I allready made the needed modifications to the source files ipaq.h and ipaq.c I just need ito compile those two files into ipaq.o and I am not interested in trying to buiold a wole kernel to compile.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 05:23 AM
Hey don't get all bent out of shape there my friend - I'm just trying to help eh? I can go the rest of my life without knowing anything about a dell axim.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Here's what I read

To be able to use SynCE with a USB connection, you need to be running Linux kernel version 2.4.18 or later.

You've got that covered.

Are you running one of these devices?

Compaq/HP iPAQ (except the 1910)
Casio (EM500 and probably others)
No you're not.

If not, you should first patch your kernel driver.
OK how the hell do you do that?

However, if your device don't work with the kernel driver ipaq.o out of the box, you need to make some small modifications to this driver.
OK what modifications?

add vendor & product I.D.'s
OK so go to
drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.h
&
drivers/usb/serial/ipaq.c
and enter your vendor and product i.d's
OK then what?

recompile the kernel

So unless the software you downloaded is telling you something different than what the 'how-to' says I don't see how you'll get it done any other way. What's the big deal about recompiling the kernel anyway? You've come this far man.

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 06:17 AM
My most sincere appologies if I came off as being short with you, it wasn't intended, as you have been nothing but patient and helpful with me. I've just been stressed the last couple days trying to set up a new wireless network (which I've never done before on any OS).

The site did mention just replacing ipaq.o So I assumed this was done by compiling ipaq.c and ippaq.h as they are the source files you are asked to modify.

As for my objection to recompiling the kernel, the reason is that I spent 3 days and at last count 9 re-installs of linux trying to build and compile a working knoppix kernel, and at this point, trying to do it again without a lot more linux experience just completely fails to apeal to me. And as far as I have been able to find, the knoppix kernel is a one-off kernel and nt available for download ANYWHERE. If you hae some way for me to get proper kernel source and inteligable directions for what to do with it, I'd LOVE to have a good kernel source and just re-compile it.

garyng
04-04-2003, 09:32 AM
What's the big deal about recompiling the kernel anyway? You've come this far man.

The big deal is having everything setup properly before one can say "make" or seeing those error messages pumping out line after line during the make process, speaking from someone who has been doing this kind of thing since the 8088 days.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Before you start VeeDubb- make your life a little easier right here:
http://www.partimage.org/
Make a 'copy' of your working install wether it be to another partition or to a cd. Partimage is nice in that it doesn't copy an entire partition- only the data on the partition. You can see how this will make life easier eh? Then this weekend I'll have some time to mess about with recompiling this crazy one-off kernel. It can be done. I realize that you need to get this done asap as you probably didn't buy the pocket pc just for games. Perhaps garyng would be willing to share some of his vast wisdom. :)

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 06:47 PM
Actualy, the last time I tried to make a kernel, it was garyng that helped me through it and everything looked good untill I tried to reboot, then nothing. Not even an error message, the system posted and stopped. I will make a back up and if it get's working, this weekend it fine. I'd rather it be yesterday, but beggers can't be choosers. Anyway, thanks again.

VeeDubb
04-04-2003, 09:40 PM
I have backedup my linu partition now.

garyng
04-05-2003, 01:52 AM
testing with your own linux kernel is pretty safe, you just need to know a bit of lilo

The whole linux booting involves 2 files(essentially), the kernel file(the zmImage file after the make) and the initrd(initial root disk). As a result, you can configure lilo to have entries to either boot the currently working one, or your newly created one.

rickenbacherus
04-05-2003, 02:15 AM
So would you simply add another entry like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs
label=Debian
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
Of course the kernel would be 2.4.20-???something
Then you switch kernels at the prompt?
linux image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-???

probono
01-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Patching the kernel module is no longer neccessary with Knoppix 3.3. You can use

sudo insmod usbserial
sudo insmod ipaq vendor=0x3340 product=0x3326
# use your PDA's own IDs instead
[/quote]