PDA

View Full Version : How to read the hard disk?

NinaBlount
01-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I read Knowing Knoppix instructions on reading the hard disk and basically it says just click on hard disk partition and wait for it to mount. There is a green triangle indicating success and then konqueror is supposed to start up.
But I get the following message:
"mount: I could not determine filesystem type, and none was specified"
I know I'm missing something easy here. I got this just out of curiosity and I don't know anything. :D
I have been playing around with the xmms and gimp with some backup cds. Just want to see now if I can get files off my drive to play with k3b now. So far it has been fun and I like Knoppix quite alot.
Thanks for reading.

UnderScore
01-08-2005, 07:51 PM
What kind of hard drive? IDE? SCSI? USB? Whats on the hard disk? Windows 98? Windows 2000? Windows XP? Some thing else? What filesystem is on the hard disk? FAT16? FAT32? NTFS?
I ask the above questions because in order for us to help you, we need more info.
Thanks,
James

NinaBlount
01-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Oh :oops:
So my hard drive is scsi. It's formatted fat32 and I'm running win 98. I know that's an old os,I just never wanted to pay for upgrades. Also I've got boot magic installed but right now just the one fat32 partition.
Not sure if this matters but I have to boot with knoppix26 because knoppix command hangs at:

Enabling DMA acceleration for: hde [Quantum Fireball P LM30.0]

Thats my hard drive I'm pretty sure. :wink:
But the 2.6 kernel loads really fast and during loading it shows my format as fat32.
I hope I gave enough info this time. Sorry for ignorance, but I don't know exactly everything which is why I am trying to learn with a live cd. Thanks!

CrashedAgain
01-10-2005, 06:12 AM
boot with the bootcode 'knoppix nodma' should get past the dma hangup problem. you are probably going to find the solution for your boot problem with the appropriate bootcode, press f2 for a list of available bootcodes.
'knoppix lang=us' will start you in english, default is german.
try 'knoppix lang=us failsafe' for starter

NinaBlount
01-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks for that. knoppix nodma works great. :D
Now I can read hard drive. Just wondering now why dma acceleration is a prob.

OErjan
01-11-2005, 09:08 PM
it might be that your CD and HD might need slightly diferent settings for their DMA. an auto sensing might give wrong...

dav2900
05-14-2005, 12:43 AM
I have a similar problem. Details are here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83968#83968
Can you guys help, please!