PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Newbie with boot problems....

badgerpants
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Greetings all! At the sugestion of a friend I'm trying Knoppix. I've dl'd ver 3.7, done the checksum thing, and burned it using Nero (and just in case the burn was bad....made another copy).

Here's what happens.

I put the disc in the drive, reboot, the disc is found, then it boots to the lovely Knoppix 3.7 screen with a boot prompt, and I get to use the F1, F2, F3 buttons. I type knoppix, or anything from the "cheatcodes", or just hit enter (tried this several times as you might guess), and it says....(everytime)
loading Linux24.......
loading minirt24.gz......
Ready.

then I get a blinking cursor, and it just sits there. The cd spins down and we all take a break and nothing happens. Anyone got a clue as to what is wrong here and how to fix it? I've had this same problem on both 3.7 discs and a 3.6 disc I got yesterday.

Thanks.

Linux_Newbie
01-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Hi there,
I had the same problem to get my system working, I typed knoppix26 at the boot screen prompt and it booted fine. Type this before you press enter at the first lovely knoppix 3.7 screen you see.
Hope this helps. :)

badgerpants
01-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Ok, I tried that. All it did was make my printer go crazy and start spitting out blank pages, the screen went blank and the cursor started flashing everywhere.....then it died again. =(

Oh, well, at least something happened.....

CrashedAgain
01-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Ok, I tried that. All it did was make my printer go crazy and start spitting out blank pages, the screen went blank and the cursor started flashing everywhere.....then it died again. =(

Oh, well, at least something happened.....

First try 'knoppix failsafe'. This will boot with the minimum hardware detection. If it boots OK then try other bootcodes (press f2 to get a list) to track down which bit of hardware is causing the problem.
Use 'knoppix lang=us failsafe' if you what an english system (default is german).

badgerpants
01-08-2005, 10:13 PM
Tried that too. On both 3.7 discs. Still didn't work, the same loading info appears, then Ready, then a blank screen with the cursor flashing at the top. I can't type anything, and nothing else happens, the cd still spins down, and just sits. I know the keyboard is giving some info since after a few dozen keystrokes I get a beep from the speaker (I guess the buffer is full haha).