PDA

View Full Version : Help magor problems with modem and soundcard!

aquaxpillx108
01-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Hi im new to linux when it comes down with hardware and i need some help with my sound card and 56k modem. Im using knoppix 2.6 on kernel 2.4 (2.6 wont work...) I have a sound blaster audigy 2 sound card and a HSP56 micromodem. Iv done the soundcard thingy to find your sound card but it cant find any drivers for it. I dont know how to get it to find my modem or how to get it to work.

please help me out guy, i want to get on line with my linux side and not my windows side and want to liten to my music on my linux side not windows.

also how can you get gnome to be installed onto knoppix?

p.s also wine dont work ethier.

eon
01-10-2005, 03:44 PM
First help us out by doing "lspci -v" at a terminal and copying and pasting the output.
I'm assuming you have an internal modem. If it is a winmodem i.e. a modem that depends on the windows
OS to work you may have problems getting it to function. Some winmodems can be made to work in linux and some can't.

For the sound problem you may want to try the simple things first.
Check your kmenu>System>Control Center>sound & mulitmedia>sound system and check that
enable sound system is checked. ( you can also test the sound from that panel after you make changes )
If that doesn't get you any output you can type "alsamixer" at a terminal window and see if your sound levels
are muted. There are lots of possibilities with sound search for "alsa" here or through google.

Wine: wine is a work in progress. It doesn't run all or even many windows programs.
It definately doesn't run games. If you want to run games made for windows you'll need winex
See: http://www.transgaming.com/news.php?newsid=119 If you want to run other graphic or business apps
you'll need crossover office: http://www.codeweavers.com/site/products/

They both our non-free i.e they cost $$

Good luck.

Crusader
01-16-2005, 10:37 PM
also how can you get gnome to be installed onto knoppix?

Gnome is very large. If you're running off a CD, the best I can suggest is to find a version of Knoppix that has Gnome installed (Knoppix 3.4 C'T edition, perhaps some of the DVD versions. Look around the 'news' section for links) because I don't think you could install it to RAM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this is on the hard drive, the most efficient way, by far, would be to use apt-get, a Debian utility which comes with Knoppix since Knoppix is based on Debian.
I'm a Gentoo user, but looking at the apt-get man page makes me think that you'll probably want something like
apt-get install -t testing gnome
(to get a recent fairly stable version of Gnome)

You might want to update the list of available packages first, which seems to be
apt-get update

treello
01-19-2005, 12:21 AM
i have alot of sound issues, this is what typing "lspci -v" gives me

0000:02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Lab
s [SB Live! Value] EMU10k1X
Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64,
IRQ 18
I/O ports at dc40 [size=32]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

0000:02:09.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs [S
B Live! Value] Input device controller
Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 1003
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64
I/O ports at dc68 [size=8]
Capabilities: <available only to root>

In control center i do have sound device activated. but when i click on the penguin-menu i goto configure then i goto configure sound this is what i get it comes up in two windows one right after the other

a PCI card was found in your system. The details are:
Model: Creative Labs | [SB Live ! Value] EMU10k1x

The module used for your card emu10k1.o is not currently in your module search path. Please verify that your kernal modules are correctly installed.

i am useing knoppix 3.7 using kernal24. I am running it off of the CD. Wondering if there is anything you guys can help me with. also on a sidenote is it possible to install things into knoppix even tho it is on cd. or maybe use my dvd burner to remake the boot disk with more programs installed.

thank you

durty_nacho
01-24-2005, 08:24 PM
If you login in as root and type modconf you atta be able to find the emu drivers. They are in there. trust me