PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of knoppix questions.....

jatos
01-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I will pleased to get answer's to any of these questions, bearing in mind I know little about linux

Firstly I have three main drives when I bootup besides the cdrom and floppy drive
Hda1 - My Windows NTFS partition
Hda2 - My Linux Partition
Sda1 - My Pen Drive

Firstly I want all of these drives mounted when I boot up.

Secondly I want so that all apps have read/write access to all these drives - I do know about permissions from having used chmod's on redhat web server's (via ftp) so I changed them on sda1 (777) however when I open things up in openoffice they are still read only
[edit - I fixed the problem by changing the permissions elsewhere on SDA1 - but I still have the saem problem on HDA 1 and 2]

Thirdly I would like if possible the pen drive to be like a windows pen drive - is appears as a drive when you put it in and disappears when you take it out.

Also when I installed knoppix, I had to use a third party installation app - and it set my lanquage as german - which I can bearly understand - if I was going to use any foreign lanquage it would have been french. Anway I changed back the lanquage for kde after findign the right option in control center, but mozilla and gaim are still in german - how can I change this?

And last but not least - I have six gig of apps I want to get rid of a few because I don't need them - how do I this.

CrashedAgain
01-09-2005, 09:26 PM
I will pleased to get answer's to any of these questions, bearing in mind I know little about linux

Firstly I have three main drives when I bootup besides the cdrom and floppy drive
Hda1 - My Windows NTFS partition
Hda2 - My Linux Partition
Sda1 - My Pen Drive

Firstly I want all of these drives mounted when I boot up.

Secondly I want so that all apps have read/write access to all these drives - I do know about permissions from having used chmod's on redhat web server's (via ftp) so I changed them on sda1 (777) however when I open things up in openoffice they are still read only
[edit - I fixed the problem by changing the permissions elsewhere on SDA1 - but I still have the saem problem on HDA 1 and 2]

Thirdly I would like if possible the pen drive to be like a windows pen drive - is appears as a drive when you put it in and disappears when you take it out.

Also when I installed knoppix, I had to use a third party installation app - and it set my lanquage as german - which I can bearly understand - if I was going to use any foreign lanquage it would have been french. Anway I changed back the lanquage for kde after findign the right option in control center, but mozilla and gaim are still in german - how can I change this?

And last but not least - I have six gig of apps I want to get rid of a few because I don't need them - how do I this.

First & second: edit your /etc/fstab replace 'noauto' with 'auto' (or leave it off...'auto' is the default) to have your drives mount on automatically on startup. Add a 'umask' entry to have the drive mount read/write or not as you wish. (Do NOT mount a windows NTFS partition read/write, linux cannot write to NTFS drives).

example:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat umask=022,users 0 0
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat shortname=mixed,umask=000,users 0 0

hda1 is mounted read only for users, read/write for root. hda7 is read/write for all. shortname=mixed allows capitals in filenames, otherwise vfat drives use all lower case
see man fstab for more info.

Third: You would need to use automounter for this. Don't know how, I don't have a pen drive. Perhaps someone else will respond...

Fourth:
What 'third party installation app? Knoppix has a built in HD installer ("knoppix-installer"). Anyway, assuming you have lilo, bootcodes are contained in the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf. Edit to add 'lang=us' to the append= line in lilo.conf then rerun lilo (enter "lilo" as root) to implement the changes.

Fifth: 6Gigs! You must have a lot of extras, Knoppix usually installs to 2.3 Gigs.
Adding/removing apps on a Debian based system is done with dpkg & apt-get. See this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15298
for info on installing programs in Debian. Also check out the apt-get/dpkg tutorial on this forum.

jatos
01-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Thankyou for that but one question: how do I start kwrite as root so I can actually edit fstab?

green1
01-12-2005, 04:08 AM
open a root terminal and type

kwrite

that'll get you kwrite as root.