PDA

View Full Version : Reducing NTFS partition size

dbabcock46
01-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi all,

The Knoppix 3.7 CD is on its way. My box is an eMachines T2865, running XP SP2 with the entire disk as one NTFS partition. I had no problem last week installing 3.4 (came in the Knoppix Hacks book--my first acquaintance with Knoppix) to my other box, an HP Pavilion 6740C, that had XP SP1 and the entire disk FAT32. There, I used XP's defragmenter to get everything more or less compacted, leaving plenty
of room for QTparted to create what it needed to, and now that system multiboots just fine. My concerns are whether SP2 presents any unique problems (another thread causes me to fear that this is the case), and the fact that the XP defrag on this system still left many files all over the disk, including one unmovable one about 90% of the way toward the far end, so to speak. Will 3.7 be able to handle this safely?
Anything else I need to know?

TIA for any thoughts!

Dave

UnderScore
01-10-2005, 06:08 AM
*** Do not proceed unless you accept the chance that the partition resizer will nuke your existing data.

Step 1: Backup all important data.
Step 2: Do not proceed to step 3 with first doing step 1 unless you simply don't care.
Step 3: boot with 3.7 & run qtparted and resize the XP SP2 partition.
Step 4: Do a happy dance if it worked!

See this post where I have verified that 3.7 can resize a NTFS WindowsXP SP2 C: partition successfully http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16113.
Good luck.
James