PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Live CD for my aging parents

rrolsbe
01-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Since XP can not be keeped up to date very easily via a dial-up connection, I have been looking at the various Live CD Linux distributions.
I also ran into a bootable XP distrubution called PE Builder that looked interesting..
Maybe someone can point me to a distrubution that comes close to the following requirements.

All my parents do with there computer is read Email and browse the WEB via dial-up access; therefore, they only need something along the line of the following:

A web browser that supports HTTP and HTTPS.
A good easy to use POP/IMAP Email Client.
A CD/DVD burner application with a easy to use GUI frontend.
Printer support. NOT sure if there Inkjet printer is windows only?
Modem/dial-up support. Their modem is probably a WinModem, but I have a real external USR modem I can give them.
Maybe Openoffice in case someone sends them a office document.
A picture viewer.
I will need to set up an area on a fat16/32 disk partition to store their user information, IE.. email settings, email for offline reading, WEB favorites,
pictures they might want to save/print.

Bottom line the full Knoppix distrubution is nice, but they will not use even a small portion of it capability.

It would be nice if LiveCD was small enough to run on a system with 256MB of RAM, IE.. Have the toram boot switch.; likewise, have the tohd and fromHD boot switches.

Any pointer in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.
Ron

mmaki
01-10-2005, 03:19 AM
Its not a live CD but in my opinion one of the easiest distros to use and maintain is Xandros. Download via bittorrent or buy the CD.

green1
01-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Knoppix certainly would do all that you ask, and then some.
However, something small and easy would be DSL (DamnSmallLinux).
DSL uses 50MB on a CD, preferably a business card size CD because that's cool, but any CD will do.
It runs Live and can be persistent or run from a USB pendrive. The forum support at www.damnsmalllinux.org is great, in contrast to others we may or may not frequent.
Give it a look.

tdjokic
01-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Mepis is very good choice, http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mepis

j.drake
01-17-2005, 03:59 AM
If you haven't bought the hardware yet, I'd go Mac.

jd

Rouskis
01-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Yes, Mac would be ideal... I'd suggest also Mepis and for the lighter system Xfld's brand new distro http://www.xfld.org/Xfld/en/index.html - it's a Knoppix with Xfce. And yet one smaller would be MorphixCombined-LightGUI-0.5-pre4.

IntenseTech
03-13-2005, 06:21 AM
serious..

I've used the Linspire Live CD a lot - to troubleshoot simple stuff..

and it's pretty nice/friendly.. esp. for older peoplel, I would think they'd like it.

you tell me..

lilsirecho
03-13-2005, 06:46 AM
Best for ease of booting and provides fast browser with no need for ID or passwd is Puppy Linux. It runs in RAM as well and the desktop is not busy.

I am 79 and I like it. My wife will soon be using it. She is 78(shhhhh).

geovino
05-23-2005, 01:26 AM
I've been using Mepis on a second HD and I've had people over who nothing about computers and they feel just as comfortable with Mepis as WinXP. In fact the file system in KDE is easier than windows. I think Mepis is the best overall. Try it see... http://www.mepis.org

But do like Knoppix and Kanotix for live CD use! I just think Mepis has a easier wizard for HD install.

mjolnir
07-02-2005, 12:05 PM
Its not a live CD but in my opinion one of the easiest distros to use and maintain is Xandros. Download via bittorrent or buy the CD. I haven't used it in a while but Xandros also has very good built in support for winmodems.

CytoTech
09-14-2005, 09:59 AM
check out http://www.heby.de/ltmodem for various distros that support LT winmodems... :D

tdjokic
09-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Mepis has integrated, ready for use, driver for Lucent and SmartLink winmodems. Kanotix too, for Lucent, don't know for SmartLink, but you need to activate suport with simple comand. SmartLink has suport for almost all its modems, even USB, for Linux. There are drivers on its site, with all information and explanation.

jklslvch
04-28-2006, 12:05 AM
im not sure but SLAX has a lot of basic things the page is slax.linux-live.org the only thing its the boot screen that comes out where you have to type root and toor but that can be changed with a lil editing check it out if anything