PDA

View Full Version : Editing files on HDA....

photosoupguru
01-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Well, my hard drive is recognized just fine and I can view all of the files on the hard drive.... but I can't make any changes to the files on the hard drive. I have tried changing the permissions of the whole hard drive and the individual file i'm trying to edit but to no avail.

Here is what i'm trying to do.... I'm trying to edit my boot.ini file because I seem to have screwed things up. I have windows xp installed on HDA and I decided to install Win 2000 on HDB *the second hard drive*.... then I decided I no longer wanted win 2000 installed... so stupid me I just formated HDB... I try to boot back into win XP and it says it is looking for a file from the win 2000 install. So, now I have to find a way to fix my boot.ini file to stop looking for win 2000... but I can't get into windows.

So, I tried the Maxblast tools to restore my boot sector... doesn't work... then I try the recovery console using the comand FIXBOOT... didn't work. So then I remembered I had my copy of Noppix STD... well that booted fine and I now have my boot.ini infront of me with all the changes made but I cannot save! ARG.... What good is knoppix if I can't make a simple fix like that. It says to check to see if I have permission to make the change....

what can I do!?

eon
01-11-2005, 03:20 AM
Knoppix tries to protect you from trashing your system. 8)
You need to be root to do the editing.

Either open file manager super user mode ( in System>more programs )
or do su at a terminal. If you have problems becoming root check out
this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11500

You can also use dyne:bolic which will totally let you edit everything without
any hinderances what-so-ever.

Good luck.

bfree
01-11-2005, 04:06 AM
Be warned, you most probably want to use captive-ntfs to mount your partition. Writing to ntfs with the regular driver is very risky!

Harry Kuhman
01-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Be warned, you most probably want to use captive-ntfs to mount your partition. Writing to ntfs with the regular driver is very risky!
Where as captive ntfs, from what I read in these forums, is safer. Kind of like playing Russian Roulet with one bullet in the revolver rather than 5 bullets in revolver.