PDA

View Full Version : Whar's the Kernel Source?

NateTheMagi
04-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I'm a noobie looking for a quick solution to my problems :-)

So, where's the kernel source for Knoppix 3.2? Available? I've seen from some other posts that it's custom, but is it downloadable?

4season
04-07-2003, 07:00 PM
As far as the v3.2 2003-03-30 that I'm using goes...

I think everything you need's already in /usr/src, except for the source codes for the kernel and the xfs kernel patch, which can be d/l'd from debian.org as .deb packages. You'll also want to apply knoppix-kernel.patch, which raises the character limit for the boot prompt from 256 to 512 characters. You can ignore the xfs patch if you don't plan on supporting the xfs filesystem.

Specific info in /usr/src/kernel-source.README.

Not sure what the purpose of the included linux-2.4.20-xfs directories and the ptrace patch may be (didn't check), but nothing's blown up as a result of my ignoring them ;-)

Viro
04-07-2003, 08:43 PM
AFAIK, Knoppix doesn't come with the Kernel source. All it comes with are the kernel headers, and they can be found in /usr/src/linux.

VeeDubb
04-08-2003, 04:22 AM
ACtualy, it's the lack of kernel source is why I've decided to bag my knoppix hd-install and go with Mandrake. you maek compiling a new kernel sound prety easy, but it's realy not unless you are experienced.

Nightlife
04-09-2003, 01:08 AM
How Kernel & how patches is used with this Knoppix. I want to download this kernel , patches & used .config file.

Is this kernel is patched for HP LJ1200 & Tekram-315U ?