PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO link Knoppix and WinXP pc with crossed cable

Infern00
01-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi There,

in an ultimate try to rescue data on a crashed HD in a Notebook I want to do the following:

The Broken PC is booted with Knoppix 3.7. I now wont to connect him with a crossed cable to a notebook with WinXP on it.

Can anyone explain me how to make both pc see eachother so I can copy data from the broken pc to the good notebook?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
01-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Can anyone explain me how to make both pc see eachother so I can copy data from the broken pc to the good notebook?
You have an awful lot of stuff to come up to speed on. Here are some starters:

Check the Windows IP address with IPconfig. Make notes of what it is. Hopefully you will have an IP address set and not have to create one.

Run netcardconfig on Knoppix. Assign the Knoppix system an IP address in the same range. (The next sequential IP address is likely a good choice as long as these two systems are connected to each other and nothing else). Other settings should likely match the Xp settings (mask, broadcast address and so on) Do not use an IP address that ends in 0 or 255.

Make sure that you can ping each machine from the other by IP address (use the ping command from the windows command prompt and from a Knoppix shell). Frequently an Xp firewall will give you problems in this step and will have to be shut down. You will not be able to transfer anything until you can ping.

Decide how you are going to make the transfer. There are as many answers to this problem as there are religions, and there are a lot of beliefs and biases that are similar to religion. If you know a good way to move files between Knoppix and Xp, use that. I would likely use FTP, because I know FTP well and have used it a lot. Others will suggest networking and file sharing systems that they have used but I have never been able to get to work quite right. Once you get the pings working, if you don't have a way to transfer the files then post back here and people will be glad to share with you many and conflicting opnions.

Infern00
01-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Ok thanks for the reaction.

I managed to ping the machines so now I would like to continue.

Can anyone help me any further?

Thanks

rcook
01-11-2005, 09:58 PM
I just did this last night on a friend's machine to port files onto the new replacement (XP-home ed.)

The workgroup of the XP machine needs to be WORKGROUP.

Bring Knoppix up command line. knoppix24 2 or knoppix 26 2

Type sambastart<enter>

Answer the questions on what to share and the knoppix password.

Look in the network neighborhood on the XP machine. There will be a samba share in the neighborhood with the harddrives shared. You will need to log on as knoppix with whatever password you set.

Browse the drives and drag the files you want onto the XP machine.

Harry Kuhman
01-11-2005, 10:11 PM
Can anyone help me any further?
Sounds like you have the hard part taken care of. I'll give you two things you can try, either should work. I'll suggest that you try the second one I give first. Here are the ways I would suggest (not the only ways though):

You could run an FTP server on your windows syste. A google search will find several (just be sure you set up an ftp server, and not a client). I just did a knoppix transfer by FTP to my FTP server (runnung FTP from a shell, actual command FTP xxx.xx.xx.xx where the x's are the IP address of the windows system). I didn't see a GUI FTP client in Knoppix, although there certainly might be one. I didn't see an FTP server either, although this would be very nice as it would negate the need to find one for Windows. If anyone knows of an already installed Knoppx GUI FTP client or Knoppix FTP server please post.

I had not had good results with Samba in the past, but I just tried it again with Knoppix 3.7 and it worked perfectly for this, so I think that might be the better way to go (assuming it works as well for you as it did for me. Otherwise, try my above suggestion). Here's what I did: Boot Knoppix. From the menu, select Knoppix->utilities->Samba Network Neighborhood. Samba started, and after about 30 seconds it showed my workgroup name. I clicked on that and it showed the other computers in my network. I clicked on one of them and it showed all of the shared folders. I clicked on one of them and it wanted a user name and password. The system I was connecting to was Win98, the folders had passwords but no user name. So I just entered the password for both the user name and the password. It accepted that and I could see all of the files in the folder. I moved the window a little, clicked on one of the hard disk icons and opened a folder with some files in it. I drug one to the Samba window and it asked what I was trying to do. I told it to copy the file, and it did it. I confirmed that the file was there on the other system from that system's console.

So I would think that you should create a nice empty directory (folder) on the Xp system, set up sharing on it, boot knoppix and start up Smaba, and see if you can't get to the folder across the network. As long as you can you should be able to drag and drop files and entire folders across the Samba connection.

Please post back to let us know how things worked out.

Harry Kuhman
01-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I just saw rcook's post and wanted to add a few thoughts.

When I did the above my workgroup wasn't named WORKGROUP. It was my normal workgroup name. Not sure if his WORKGROUP issue is because of XP, some particular XP service pack issue, or because he's going in the opposite direction that I was (running from the XP console when I ran from the Samba console). I plan to do a little more playing with this and see if I could move files from the windows system side without using the WORKGROUP name and will post back later.

rcook also avoided starting the GUI and ran Samba from the command prompt. I'm not clear why.

He made the file transfers from the Windows side. That might be a good idea, as a user doing this is likely more comfortable with the windows tools and GUI than with Knoppix. Does Samba mount all of the Knoppix system's partitions for you when you do this?

Infern00
01-11-2005, 11:02 PM
tanks a lot for the advise.

In fact using just smb://pcname/share in konqueror did the trick.

Ezor
01-15-2005, 05:33 AM
Thanks infern00 for puting up this post

Thanks Harry Kuhman & rcook for your responses.