PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie ... loves Knoppix!! Help with HDD Install?

silicosick
04-02-2003, 06:11 PM
Hello all

I am new here. I downloaded and burned the Knoppix CD last night on reccomendation from a friend. I booted it and I simply love it. I have an older system and am wondering how to install it to my hard drive (creating a dual boot with Win 2K) so that I can save things and have it run faster

I know nothing about Linux.

Can anyone help please ?

Thanx in Advance

Henk Poley
04-02-2003, 06:34 PM
I know nothing about Linux.
Then I suggest you work with knoppix from CD, at least for some time...
I hope you have a FAT32 partition on your HD so you can store the persistant home (don't try with NTFS).

Btw, there is lots of documentation around. Even on this site, hint hint... ;-)

silicosick
04-02-2003, 07:19 PM
I do have a couple FAT32 partitions on my drive

is there a way to make knoppix save my settings to the HDD so that I dont have to reconfigure every time I reboot ?

qa1433
04-02-2003, 07:45 PM
There are two ways to save your configurations.

K>Knoppix>Save Config
K>Knoppix>Persistent Home

There is a how to to accomplish this.
Please see url below
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo

Have fun,
paul 8)

silicosick
04-02-2003, 07:46 PM
T H A N K Y O U !

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 05:25 AM
am wondering how to install it to my hard drive (creating a dual boot with Win 2K)

First - the standard disclaimer- If you have important data- back it up first!!! ALWAYS make the boot floppy when asked to do so!!!

Nothing could be easier! You can surf the web WHILE YOU INSTALL! - try that with windows. Make sure everything works as you want it before you install. Be aware however that some things can only be changed if you install.

Leave your win2k install as is- it's easier if it is installed first anyway.
To install Knoppix: (yes there are other methods)
open a terminal
sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall
and just follow along.

Partitions-When it comes to partitions we could ask every person here about their personal preferences for partitions and you'd never get the same answer twice- it's largely a matter of preference and need.

In your remaining hard drive space you need:
swap partition (twice the size of your ram is a general rule)- optional if you have alot of ram. You may already have a swap partition you can use.
You need a minimum of approx 2500megabytes for Knoppix to install to. More is better for additional apps. you will be using 'cfdisk' for creating/formatting partitions. Create your partitions-
*REMEMBER* If you freak out and think you goofed - don't use the "write" option- just quit cfdisk and you won't change a thing.
Lastly- in cfdisk don't forget to change the type to 82 for Linux swap & 83 for Linux. WRITE THE PARTITION TABLE before you exit cfdisk.

You will come to a file system screen- I prefer ext3.
If you want help with partitioning -post the screen output of

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda (I assume youi have only 1 hard drive) if that doesn't work do:
sudo su cfdisk /dev/hda

Then you answer a few more questions and wait while it installs. If it asks you something that you are unsure of - search, post or whatever it takes. After it finishes you may or may not choose to start certain servers- again - it depends on your own needs.

When it asks "Install LILO to the master boot record?" choose yes. LILO is a boot manager and will give you a screen to select your OS from. If you find your system unbootable after install - post back we'll get you fixed. If the idea of playing with maaster boot records gives you the willies select 'no'- you can use the boot floppy that I know you won't hesitate to make. :D

Knoppix installs in a very short time so if you do mess it up -don't worry, you can always boot the cd and try again right?

silicosick
04-03-2003, 05:03 PM
THANK YOU

I will be giving it a go tonight

KNOPPIX ROX!!

xunil
04-04-2003, 05:37 PM
To all newbies : watch out !
"knx-hdinstall" is written without spaces.
Do not enter "knx -hdinstall" as if hdinstall is an argument for knx.
Many fellow-students already made this mistake and were not able to install.

Further, as you already mentioned

KNOPPIX ROX !

The perfect portable Linux !

silicosick
04-04-2003, 05:43 PM
thanx for the tip!

oscar
04-05-2003, 05:21 AM
There are two ways to save your configurations.

K>Knoppix>Save Config
K>Knoppix>Persistent Home

There is a how to to accomplish this.
Please see url below
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo

Have fun,
paul 8)

Fragment from http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PersistentHomeHowTo

"
Persistent Home without floppy

The Knoppix 3.2 CD has already got the "floppyconf" scripts on-board, so you don't need these steps on a 3.2 CD.

It is possible to modify the Knoppix-CD so that it will use the Persistent Home scripts without an additional floppydisk. You won't need to do a complete Remaster (If think about doing a remaster anyways, you'll need 1 Gig Ram+Swap and 3 Gig free hd space). You only need to copy the script knoppix.sh from the Persistent Home ZIP-file into the directory /KNOPPIX on the CD.."

Is it true the following part? (and it is not in the german language version, I dont understand german but it is not):

...The Knoppix 3.2 CD has already got the "floppyconf" scripts on-board, so you don't need these steps on a 3.2 CD...

and the instructions are for persistent_home not for floppyconfig... :?

żany ideas?

thanks

ziggie
04-07-2003, 04:06 PM
I've slicked off my 2nd HD to install the Knoppix version to learn something about Linux before making the total jump.

Need some steps for this install.

It is formatted in FAT32 right now but can do what-ever ness.??

Thx
zig

rickenbacherus
04-07-2003, 04:10 PM
I've slicked off my 2nd HD to install the Knoppix version to learn something about Linux before making the total jump.

Need some steps for this install.

The basic instructions are already in this post. (see above). Is there something specific that you needed assistance with?

AlterEgo
04-12-2003, 01:36 PM
If i go to Konsole en typ knx-hdinstall, i get something like "permission denied" or somtehin like that :?

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 03:24 PM
If i go to Konsole en typ knx-hdinstall, i get something like "permission denied" or somtehin like that :?
That's because you need to be root to install or you can just give the command as root like this:

Enter this in a terminal:

AlterEgo
04-12-2003, 03:31 PM
That's because you need to be root to install or you can just give the command as root like this:

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall I don't get it. What's a terminal and how can i be in the " root"

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Konsole is a terminal. If you're a windows user you would be accustomed to a DOS window only a terminali in Linux is much more useful. Open Konsole and enter :

'root' is the name of a 'user' - root has ultimate authority and can execute any command or install software or pretty much anything he wants to do. There is a lot more to it than that but this should be enough to get you started.

oscar
04-12-2003, 07:18 PM

sudo /usr/local/bin/knx-hdinstall I don't get it. What's a terminal and how can i be in the " root"

console=terminal=terminal console=that black thing with white letters :roll:

when you write "sudo" you are in the "root"

AlterEgo
04-12-2003, 08:32 PM
k thnx :P

rickenbacherus
04-12-2003, 09:39 PM
when you write "sudo" you are in the "root"

There are two seperate issues here. There is the user 'root' who has ultimate authority. It is possible to execute commands as root without actually becoming root. Example:

sudo mcedit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

That is translated as:
sudo- do as if root
mcedit- use Midnight Commander to edit
/etc/X11/- path to the file you wish to edit
XF86Config-4- name of the file to edit

Why would you wish to be root when you edit that file? If you want to save anything you edit in that file you must be root (assuming you have not changed the default settings). If you only wish to view the file you would not open it as root but a normal user, this way you cannot inadvertently corrupt the file.

This is how to become root:

su
<password>

Now anything that you do in this terminal will be done as root. Yes you can edit and save files. Yes you can cause quite a few problems. Under no circumstances is it advisable to surf the web as the root user. If you open another terminal window you are not root in that new terminal until you become root.

In order to use the 'sudo' command you must make yourself part of the 'sudoers group'. How?
su
<password>
xedit /etc/sudoers (you can use whatever editor you like of course)

#sudoers file
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
your_user_name ALL=(ALL) ALL<--add a line like this with your user name
#knoppix ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

After you edit the file don't forget to save it. Now you should be able to execute a command as root without actually becoming root.

Some programs must be executed as root:

sudo cfdisk /dev/hda

There is also a directory named 'root that you could work "in"'. It is identified simply with a forward slash /. The root 'user' and root 'directory' are two entirely different things.

GREGC
04-21-2003, 05:39 PM
The terminal is the linux equivilent of the CLI (command line interface, for you windows users...dos prompt).

ROOT is the linux equivilent of Administrator...you need to be Root (or at least Super User (windows=power user), better known as SU, to issue system critical commands (linux is secure, not everyone can change system settings).

So either issue commands as root (login as root first) or issue a SU before the command (such as "su *command you want to execute*").

If you have any other questions, please post. And to all the linux snobs out there, please don't post RTFM...OK? ;-)

GregC

George Wiedmann
04-21-2003, 06:44 PM
Another way
Boot off the Knoppix CD
Enter command line as root by pressing "CTRL-ALT-F1" (no quotes)
Type " init 1" (this will keep you from having problems if you want to use XFS file system)
Type "knx-hdinstall"
Follow the menus on the screen

When finished type "reboot -n"

A. Jorge Garcia
04-21-2003, 09:45 PM
How about this:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2021

Regards,