PDA

View Full Version : Why Linux?

samhainbaphomet
01-11-2005, 05:58 PM
I was just wondering why people choose linux opposed to Windows, I have never been on a linux os so I dont really know its advantages. The biggest change ive ever made is moving from IE to Firefox :P

My current reason to move to linux is to learn, I think I have a decent knowledge of windows and now would like to try new things. I dont particulary dislike windows, but going by what people say here (and other places ive been) Linux does seem to be better and have more.

UnderScore
01-11-2005, 06:32 PM
The biggest change ive ever made is moving from IE to Firefox :P Good first move. IE is has too many holes & I feel it is dangerous to use (I don't want to get my identity or credit cards stolen).

My current reason to move to linux is to learnThats a good reason. Seeing as how practically everything is linux is open & free for inspection, you have the freedom to learn what ever you want as much as you want

Linux gives me the freedom to use it as much as I want & how I want. Linux is flexible and is great for many wide & varied tasks from handheld cell phone & PDAs to mega clustered servers (google.com or supercomputers).

Here is more info on "Why Linux?":
http://www.seul.org/docs/whylinux.html
http://www.linux.org/info/advocacy.html

jatos
01-11-2005, 06:42 PM
I would saying moving to lniux has the following advantages providing you get the right distro (Knoppix cough):

1: its generally considered more secure
2: All its programs are open source
3: Its free
4: All the apps for it are free
5: It auto searchs for devices.

Also with knoppix all the apps you will ever need are already there - take about 6 gig when installed though.

green1
01-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Two key words come to mind:

Learning (interchangable with fun )

FREE

Among the many other benefits to using Linux, those two should be enuf.

CrashedAgain
01-12-2005, 06:07 AM
I started with Linux because I really intensely dislike Microsoft & its corporate steamroller all for me & everybody else be damned ways.

I found that Linux really is a better system...more secure, more reliable, etc. Free helps too although I am not rabidly opposed to paying for good software...just to having a crappy O/S which I don't want forced on me as part of a new hardware 'package' or through some hokey 'software patent'.

I use Knoppix (but now Kanotix) because it's the easiest way to get a Debian system.

Also with knoppix all the apps you will ever need are already there - take about 6 gig when installed though.

??? What's with the 6Gigs? A Knoppix install takes 2.3Gig. Allow a little for free space & you can get by quite well with 3Gig provided you keep your system cleaned up.

It would take one hell of a compression program to squeeze 6G onto a 700 M CD.

samhainbaphomet
01-12-2005, 06:17 PM
1: its generally considered more secure

Thats another thing that encourages me to start using linux, Spyware and viruses sicken me.

Shadda
01-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Biggest reason to move to linux? For me it was production enviroment. I work on many applications that require extensions you can't install on a windows server. (This is using apache, too. I'd never, ever use IIS)

I've used linux for almost a decade as a remote server, but really have never used it as a desktop enviroment. It's a bit troublesome to learn the idiosyncrocies(I butchered that word) of linux, but i'm starting to get the hang of it.

I should note that i am finding certain difficulties with debian, in regards to setting up my server. Part of it is my fault, part of it is debian, and part of it is PHP. (You can't compile the IMAP extensions with PHP on debian because of a debian bug. I spent two days trying to get it to compile :(

stukennedyuk
01-13-2005, 08:52 PM
I "gravitated" to using the Windows versions of GIMP, OpenOffice.org, Mozilla in Windows 98SE and they are all very good and gave me a good feeling about open source. I'd been a Mac person in the old days of Mac IIci OS 6/7.x and loved it, but was forced to migrate to Windows 95 by my employer, cost you see. So many promises Windows 95 offered, but didn't deliver, a rotten year trying to find equivilent apps for what I'd become used to that worked and all the stupid issues with file compatabilty with Word et al. Stupid. First saw KDE and went "wow" - this is the "toy" that "proper" OS's laugh at? - I don't think!

At the end of the day It really would be very rude not to try this open source stuff given the talent and generousity of it's authors and if it does what you want, why not. I'm not knocking Windows XP it's an excellent OS, it actually does what Windows 95 promised and as a mass produced item, it's got to be worth about 20-30 dollars hard cash..... (If office is included).

Stu.....

bigkahuna
01-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Great thread. I'm in the process of learning/installing Linux right now. Been using computers since "punched cards" days, and loved mac's while still using Windows because of financial and client driven reasons (like most folks here I suspect).

I'll also note that of the dozen distro's I've tried so far, I'm enjoying Knoppix 3.7 the most... but... (yeah, there had to be a "but") I do have a couple gripes about Linux distros and forum (Knoppix included)s:

a. Darn near every "how to" in the Linux world is written for an experienced Linux user. As I've searched the net for answers, I see alot of the same questions being asked over and over again, and finding the answers has been pretty cryptic. There are alot of "how to" sites, damn few are understandable by Linux newbies.

b. Alot of the "basic things you gotta do" in all the distros requires some command line entry to the shell. Just to create a bootable floppy is a major undertaking. The distro that creates scripts with buttons on a screen to do these "simple but necessary tasks" will be the most popular distro in short order. Knoppix is better than most in this respect, but there's alot of room for improvement still.

c. Somebody's got to fix this whole "winmodem" debacle. Yeah, I know it's a hardware deal, but darn near every notebook computer on the market uses it and getting it to work under Linux costs money (admittedly not alot of $ though) and ain't easy.

But as I said, Knoppix is better than most and is the distro I hope to keep (assuming I can get the winmodem drivers to work).

Paul

stukennedyuk
01-13-2005, 09:49 PM
My first experience of computing:- we had a new (Applied) Mathematics teacher who announced to the morning assembley (/form /foo?) "anyone who'd like to learn about computers....." - he was laughed off the podium This was the 70's when I was still at school and even pocket calculators were brand new! (I have a Commodore SR1800, original)

We (the very few who did turn up, three if I remember.....) wrote programs in BASIC on cards to be run as a "batch" on the County Hall (local goverment) mainframe, output was on 80 column listing paper..... you could do a nice "sine wave plot" - sorry I forget the "print" command details!, it's only been two decades! I was never allowed to use the DDIs (Direct Data Input terminals).

Two BIG mistakes given this information:-

1). Microprocessors, the first tech-sheet I saw showing the pin-outs, with all this Data bus and Address bus stuff I thought what's all this rubbish! - how am I suppossed to wire this up?

2). Email - my first demo was at a classroom LAN, we emalled a bloke on a machine across the classroom, I said "We could have shouted it to him!"

This is why I'm not Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs and why I'm writing on this forum!

So old am I, I remember the days of transistor radios (as opposed to valves (tubes)) and the one line I remember most? - " Imagine the pride when you say - I made it myself" - but you know, Linux is bit like that.

Good stuff.

Stu.....

www.stuartkennedy.org.uk

Cuddles
01-14-2005, 07:26 PM
This was a fascinating thread to read, and, yes, I actually "read" it down to this point...

To the one who posted about getting a WinModem running... I had been using Knoppix, had a winmodem working, but only in root, then I "upgraded" that system to Kanotix ( BH9a to be exact ), did a detect-ltmodem command, and POOF, it worked, flawlessly I might add. I hate to "toot my horn" -=- here -=- about another distro, but, as a wise man once said: ( to paraphrase ) to have something made in the image of ones self, is the best of flaterry -=- Kanotix is based on Knoppix... You may want to see just what kind of "winmodem" you have, it may already be "supported"...

To the originator of this thread:
I can think of many reasons why I first looked, and then shifted, and then went fully and completely, over to Linux...

I develop programs, first for DOS ( and heck did it need programs ), then for Win3.1 ( not that this didnt need help ), then for Win95, and Win98, and NT... My very first "utility" programs were released shortly after DOS v3.x, and mostly did things that the DOS programs didnt do, or should have done... No "move" program, no "multiple" source file to one target location "copy", no overwrite warning, etc... I made more than 250 "utility" programs alone, for DOS...

Now, the reasons for Linux, and the "demise" of M$ and its OS -=- cost, plain and simple... Compiler DOS Basic, cost: $150, to get into the Windows Development world, cost: $250, ( VB v1, 3, 5, and lastly 6 )... Cost for developing programs on Linux: zero, in fact, they come almost "pre-installed". You want Perl, just apt-get it, you want Python, same thing, you want C, or C++, or whatever, its either inclided, or a simple install away...

Cost is one thing, security, stability, the ability to "see" what someone is doing, if you feel the need, i.e. "no secrets", are among the other things... I think Linux, is by far, a lot more secure than windows could ever "hope" to be... Stability, no contest; I can run weeks without a single problem, issue, or reboot / restart, and my resources dont go "bye bye", like in the other "compitition"... Being able to view the actual "source code" for what you run, and the ability to change it, to what you want or like, and make a new one, from the programs, all the way down to the actual OS itself. This is not only safer, but accountable. Not to mention verifiable... As a auther of a program stated, I think it was in GuardDog, "no ( secret ) hidden pills here". Even if there was, you could still look through the source and see if there were.

If M$ ever went for "open source", and released there source code for ANY os that they ever released, one, it would probably be so hard to follow, you wouldnt want to read through it, and two, you wouldnt probably be able to alter, or change it, or even re-create it, without something else that M$ would want to sell to you. M$ is a "conglomerate of money making", and when they have all the money that they could ever want, or need, they will still want more... True, they should have money, heck, a wonderful OS doesnt grow on trees, and not without a horrendous amount of people, all wanting to get paid, but, I think Linux is "somewhat" proving this concept invalid. If not for the "kick" of saying "we did it!", or "it can be done!", or just the sheer bravery of tallented people who "do without being paid"... I think Linux is the old saying, coming true, and being proven: "I can do that better!" - Private Enterprise at its best. I think this is why Linux was started, and probably why it has gained in interest, and usage...

I actually went to the Computer Store, to buy a ethernet card, and was shocked in seeing that it had "Linux" support, on the box... It listed a lot of the "main" Distro's, and the cards were "instantly" recognized by my Kanotix install, recognized, configured, and drivers included in the OS already - and this was a pretty new ethernet card... I think the "world" is waking up from a "dormant", "microsoft dominance", sleep... and here we are...

I expect to see T-shirts, in the near future, with the printing on them: I was Linux, when Linux wasn't cool! or maybe, something like this: Linux? I was running "Linux" when you were still in diapers!

Oh well, all I can say is, I am glad I am not running anything Windows anymore, I am glad, my system is glad, my small network cluster is glad, my internet connection is glad, my security is glad, my viri is glad, and lastly, my pocket book is "really" glad... Oh, yeah, and with Linux, I have resigned myself from having to make "utility" programs for lack of them being in the OS that I run... 'Cause everything I ever need, is either already there, or already made... I guess I can always go back to making "utility" programs for my "old" OS, instead of having to write them for my "current" OS ? ( but, why should I? Let them deal with there own OS, or change :) )

My two cents worth,
Ms. Cuddles
( and, no, that "Ms." does NOT stand to Microsoft )

garyng
01-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Why linux ? Because you can.

There is no clear advantage of linux over MS Window, for 95% of joe users(only disadvantage I would say). XP can be very reliable, I have been running it for weeks(not months only because I need to change setup here and there) without booting(just suspend and resume, still very iffy on linux to use it like this).

You don't like IE(for security reason etc.), there is firefox for MS Window.

You don't have the money for photoshop, there is GIMP for MS Window.

You don't have the money for Office, there is OO for MS Window.

In fact, most of the major open source applications have ports for MS Window and in many case, XP is a forced purchase item come with the hardware so cost is only a minor issue.

XP has much better hardware support(from vendor, a sad fact).

Having said that, I have 3 to 4 active running linux in my house and only 1 XP because one is a router, another is Xbox, a third(or fourth) running under XP(I need it for linux development) as linux is the only options for these devices and release their full potential.

my 2 MS cent :-)

your_breakfast
01-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Why "Linux"? It sounds better!! :lol:

samhainbaphomet
01-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I have been reading through the board quite regulary and feel I have learnt a lot from it. :)

Why "Linux"? It sounds better!!

It does, and Tux is great :D

You don't have the money for photoshop, there is GIMP for MS Window.

Ill try that :)

This was a fascinating thread to read, and, yes, I actually "read" it down to this point...

Thanks, its good to know s a n00b I can still post interesting threads :P

Cuddles
01-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Why "Linux"? It sounds better!! :lol:

Hmmmm, I said the same thing about OS/2 Warp...

I think the nice thing about Linux, is, it gives you a choice... Sure, you had a choice before... Windows [this], or Windows [that], etc...