PDA

View Full Version : Error configuring shared Windows printer

dbabcock46
01-11-2005, 06:06 PM
I have two machines, "A" running XP SP2 and "B" running XP SP1. They are networked via a broadband rounter (DLink DI604), and the network, and printer sharing, work fine under XP. But I am having trouble accessing the printer on "A" from Knoppix 3.4, installed to HD on "B". The KDE printer wizard chugs along, finding the workgroup and both printers, but when I click on "A", after a second or two, I get an error message, "Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED". If this will go away in 3.7, someone say so and I will be happy, but if I have misconfured something, can someone please set me straight? Thanks.

Dave

Shadda
01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I may be wrong about this (I'm new, aswell) but it seems like knoppix has only *expirimental* NTFS read/write support. As a matter of fact, if i recall, even reading from an NTFS drive is buggy enough that you have to go about fixing disk compression problems after a read. If you're running winXP, i assume you're on an NTFS filesystem.

I got around that because i keep XP on fat32, and for all my NTFS needs, i have an extra ~10gb partition.

XP's settings also may not allow network printer sharing without access rights. Check your other computer's settings and make sure you can share that printer (You may need username/password?)

My current printer problem is my upstairs computer is on Win ME (don't ask. Soon as it fufills it's purpose it'll make way for slackware or gentoo) and i can't even get XP to share that printer. In fact, Knoppix came closer to sharing it than XP.