PDA

View Full Version : Lilo Boot-Manager

HiniBa
01-11-2005, 10:02 PM
I have just finished installing Knoppix onto my computer. So when I start Knoppix with Lilo there is a red windows coming up where I have to decided from which partition I want to boot. But there are some partitions listed on which I don't have an operating system, does anybody know how I can change this red box so that it just shows Linux and my Windows, and not the other partitions. I have tried lilo.conf but that only changes the boot-manager at first not the red box.

Thanks

Shadda
01-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Yep. You'll find a file called lilo.conf in /etc

Edit this file. A little ways down you'll see all the images you can boot from (Linux, Linux 2.3 or whatever) and then you'll see your windows partition if you have one, and any other patitions on the disk. Simply delete these blocks and save the file. Now type lilo in konsole and reboot.

On mine i just renamed the ones without OS's one em to Spare Disk.

I suppose you could also toggle 'bootable' in fdisk? Didn't think of that before, but i don't think my spares were toggled bootable in the first place.

CrashedAgain
01-12-2005, 06:13 AM
I suppose you could also toggle 'bootable' in fdisk? Didn't think of that before, but i don't think my spares were toggled bootable in the first place.

They are not toggle bootable; editing /etc/lilo.conf is the correct way. You must be root to edit this file & don't forget to re-run lilo (just type 'lilo' also as root) to implement your changes.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, just comment out the lines you want to remove instead of actually deleting them. Placing a # at the beginning of the line makes the line into a comment instead of an executable command.