PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix crashes when connecting to the internet.

StephenIsTheMan
01-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Hello,
When ever I open Mozilla or the other browser that comes with Knoppix the whole system freezes. I'm a Linux newbee, but I have also tried Slax which works perfectly. What I'm really in truble for is that windows XP no longer can connect to the internet.

My nic is a:
Realtek Gigabit PCI LAN Chip integrated into my motherboard http://usa.aopen.com/Products/mb/AK86-L.htm
And I use a DLink Dl-604 router.

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Hello,
When ever I open Mozilla or the other browser that comes with Knoppix the whole system freezes. I'm a Linux newbee, but I have also tried Slax which works perfectly. What I'm really in truble for is that windows XP no longer can connect to the internet.

My nic is a:
Realtek Gigabit PCI LAN Chip integrated into my motherboard http://usa.aopen.com/Products/mb/AK86-L.htm
And I use a DLink Dl-604 router.
Knoppix will open with a browser window open. Does that cause Knoppix to hang? Can you put the IP address of the Dlink router (likely 192.168.0.1) into the already open browser window and see the Dlink's web interface? Does the Dlink's status page say that it is connected (click on the status tab on the top of the screen)? If it is connected can you click on the disconnect button and see that it is disconnected, and the click on the connect button and see it connect and get an IP address again? If it is not connected can you click on connect and make it connect? If this works, does starting another browser still cause Knoppix to hang? Back to the idea that a browser is open when Knoppix starts, can you click on one of the available links (such as Linux TAG) and get to that site, or put some other valid URL in the browser and go to that site? You are running Knoppix from CD rather than having installed it to hard disk and not mentioned that, right?

And do you have any insight on why Windows is having network problems? Just what do you see in Windows? Can Windows get to the Dlink?

StephenIsTheMan
01-12-2005, 01:19 AM
I've recreated the freezing a couple of times now. To do so I boot up off the v3.6 live CD, in the Konquerer window that automaticly pops up I click the LinuxTag link, then just before the page finishes loading the OS freezes.

My dads computer is also connected to the same router and is having no problems connecting to the internet and these forums.

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2005, 01:47 AM
I've recreated the freezing a couple of times now. To do so I boot up off the v3.6 live CD, in the Konquerer window that automaticly pops up I click the LinuxTag link, then just before the page finishes loading the OS freezes.

My dads computer is also connected to the same router and is having no problems connecting to the internet and these forums.
Wow, how very strange! It's not at all clear to me how your Knoppix CD could be doing this, when mine and most everyone else's does not. I would still recommend some of the stuff I wrote above; go to the Dlink router page and see if the system also hangs when connecting to a page on the local LAN rather than on the Internet. We can already assume that the browser can open pages on your own disk, since it didn't hang when you booted, but you might want to browse your hard disk and open a text file, and/or a gif or jpg file just to confirm that. Tell us about the computer, cpu, how much ram and such, although I doubt that this is the issue (Knoppix runs on some pretty lean systems, ones that could never run XP). Have you tested the CD with the cheat code at boot time? Are you using any cheat codes at boot time and have you tried adding the nodma cheat code?

You said "windows XP no longer can connect to the internet". What about Knoppix? Did it ever connect before on that computer? Did you try it before Xp stopped working? I'm still wondering what is happening when XP fails, it might be a clue as to why Knoppix fails too. Have you added any hardware recently? Made any changes to the BIOS? You might want to go over the BIOS settings anyway (although to be honest I can't think of any BIOS change that I could make to recreate this).

We need more info, but this is just way too fundamental of a problem to go unsolved.

Shadda
01-12-2005, 01:48 AM
knoppix comes equipped with more than enough to trouble shoot this problem, So that's good for you.

First off, when you boot, try 'failsafe lang=us' or 'linux single (?)' OR 'knoppix 2 lang=us' to start at run level 2 (and as root, if i recall). It should go through the boot proccess and connect with whatever hardware you use to connect to the internet. From there, type ping www.gooogle.com

If you get no response (ie. you are not connected) then try ping 192.168.1.100 (default router gateway)

If that does not work, and you cannot connect in windows either, then my guess is hardware failure.

Also try resetting your router. Mine craps out a lot. Make sure you unplug your cable/dsl modem, unplug the router, plug in the modem, and wait 30 seconds before plugging the router back in (This is important)

Try those steps again.

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2005, 01:56 AM
Also try resetting your router. ....
I'll second this, I was thinking about it right after I made my post. Just because another router port is working right doesn't mean that your port is working. You or your fatther may have to do some reconfiguring after you do. It's a pain, but it may have to be done.

StephenIsTheMan
01-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I've just reset the router, upgraded its' firmware, and tried changing which jack I attach the network cable to. No change.

I can browse web sites that are on my windows XP hard drive with out any problem, so it's not a browser problem.

The problem I'm having with WinXP not connecting was not caused by any thing other than Knoppix. I down loaded the knoppix ISO and burned it in WinXP, booted Knoppix, It crashed, and I then wasn't able to get online with windows.

Sys:
A-Open AK86-L motherboard
2800+ Athlon 64 (1800ghz)
512mb Corsair Value Select ram
Realtek Gigabit PCI LAN Chip integrated

Harry Kuhman
01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
The problem I'm having with WinXP not connecting was not caused by any thing other than Knoppix. I down loaded the knoppix ISO and burned it in WinXP, booted Knoppix, It crashed, and I then wasn't able to get online with windows.
It's almost unheard of for Knoppix to cause problems with Windows (unless you try to install it), as by default Knoppix will open the drives in read-only mode and will not write to your Windows system (even more so for XP, as it cannot write to NTFS drives). With what you listed done to the router, we can rule out the router port being in any strange state as a result of Knoppix. Did you try actually powering the computer all the way off, not just removing the Knoppix CD and rebooting Windows while the computer was powered on?

Sys:
A-Open AK86-L motherboard
2800+ Athlon 64 (1800ghz)
512mb Corsair Value Select ram
Realtek Gigabit PCI LAN Chip integrated
Knoppix has gotten better about supporting some of the on-board gigait chips recently, but I don't know about this particular chip. Hopefully someone else who does will see it and post. But I never saw any reports, even before there was support for on-board high speed chip sets, of Knoppix's inability to use them affecting the Windows system.