PDA

View Full Version : Apache, PHP, and the three little bears.

Shadda
01-12-2005, 02:00 AM
Okay, I installed knoppix to my harddrive a couple days ago.

From there, i went to install php. Now, i've installed php in other distros, and some usuall problems occured with php.

For one, i need php5 (All the scripts i'm porting from windows use quite advanced PHP5, so php4 is no option) So i decided to compile php5. I got the usuall crap it throws my way, libxml, mysql headers not found, etc etc etc.

Then i had some apache problems. My first problem was a hostname problem that i had borked on install (Read the question wrong, wrote the wrong information). I got around that, sort of...Apache still thinks it's fubar, but it works okay now; i gave it a bandaid. Now my problem is, i apt-get installed apache2, and then did the same for php5.

The thing is, the apache2 configuration that came with the apt-get version is really weird!

The httpd.conf file it reads from is all but empty, and it uses apache2.conf for its default configuration. Now, i've installed apache2 many times, and its never been setup like this.

I can't even figure out how to get PHP setup with apache2 from here.

QUESTION: From the auto-installed version of apache2, how do i load php5 modules?

PS. I wasn't sure if this should be posted here, but nobody elsewhere knew, and i thought it might be a common problem (Also searched google, but its hard to find problems like this, especially with debian)[/i]

markpreston
01-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Shadda,
Knoppix 3.7 comes with Apache 1.3.33 and PHP 4.3.9. So getting Apache2 and PHP5 going is no easy task, even on a hard disk installation. You could do it by installing the packages from source, or you might consider a remastered Knoppix where this has already been done. For instance, LiveZope at http://math.cgu.edu.tw/ . This is a DVD size distro, so you would need a DVD burner, but it does provide a working PHP5 and Apache2 environment as well as many other features.
Regards,
Mark

Shadda
01-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Yes, I don't like installing apache or php or anything server related with apt-get, it's just....uncouth.

I actually got my problems worked out and narrowed down to one thing.

when compiling PHP5, I was getting some WEIRD errors that i just could not explain. Was telling me it couldn't find my confdefs.h file (part of php5) and that all sorts of files were missing.

Well, i did a little research and found that those actually weren't correct errors., There's a bug in either debian or php or both that prevents compiling --with-imap. I compiled the c-client from source and placed it in correct locations but PHP was having all sorts of trouble with them--There was some sort of error happening between confdefs and debian. I'd still like to get it to work but i don't see how. (I even tried various snapshots and older versions of php5, no luck. I've also downgraded gcc to 2.95 as that seems to be a general trend in bug reports on php.net)

If anyone could shed some light on this problem, that would be much appreciated. Until then, I'm back on my windows server trying to get some work done. Thanks.