PDA

View Full Version : Newb Needs help transferring files via FTP

panzerjager88
01-12-2005, 05:28 AM
I'm a complete Linux/Knoppix neophyte, but have been itching for a chance to try it and when my friends XP system got badly corrupted i got my chance.

Absolutely love the program but I need to get his file transferred to another desktop ASAP. I've had no luck with either SSH or SAMBA

i have a temporary FTP server running on the target machine and I can connect to it via a browser but cannot transfer files. The console based FTP program in Knoppix is cryptic to say the least and i can't make heads or tails of how to work it.

Could someone pass me some detail description of either how to work it (ie transfering the 6 Gigs of data from the mounted NTFS partion) or point out a good GUI based client I could use in Knoppix (note that i'm booted from CD, not using HDD install but USB flash is useable). I'd feel really dumb if such a client is already integrated into 3.7 but i couldn't find it.

Thanks for any help.

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2005, 05:41 AM
I was just looking at the same this afternoon. Can't find a GUI based client either (didn't try to use a browser, although they frequently can upload to a FTP server). man ftp indicates that there is also a pftp program, and as far as I can tell from a Google search, pftp allows easy one step transfer of not just a file but a entire "folder" and "subfolder" structure (proof left for the student). ftp is pretty easy to use however. Just start it with "fpt xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" or "ftp 'name-or-url-of ftp-target" and it should connect and ask for your login information. The put command moves files. Use the help command liberally. Keep the man page open in another shell window if you want but I don't think it's needed.

By the way I've had problems with Samba in the past, but it worked great for me today.

panzerjager88
01-12-2005, 05:52 AM
i've been so spoilt with GUI environments for so long command line stuff is so alien now. Other than ip, DHCP and other things I never touch the console in windows

what is the syntax for the put command? i thought that it also could only do a single file at a time, that would be horribly painful given that i'm pretty much backing up her entire computer.

i've played with NFS as well, but that was only connected to a pre-configured unix server from a windows system

i will try pftp though, thanks

green1
01-13-2005, 03:14 AM
I did something similar using Firefox.
Install firefox.
When installed, open it, go to Tools, Extensions, Get More Extensions.
That will take you to the Firefox extensions webpage.
Top left click All Extensions, on about the 6th page there is FireFTP. (these are in alphabetical order)
Install FireFTP.
Close Firefox.
Restart Firefox.
Go to Tools, FireFTP.
It's GUI. Enter your parameters.
Get your files.

I just tested this to be sure, again.
It works, and took less time to do it than to type this post.

rhybeka
04-16-2005, 01:35 PM
appears this plugin is no longer available :cry: