PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Kppp exit status 19

Darkman348
01-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi I'm a newbie and I'm trying to connect to my ISP through Kppp. I using knoppix off the cd and I'm liking it alot, but for me to use it more I would like to be able to dail into my ISP. When I dailup it connects then it boots me off and gives me "Exit status 19". From what I have learn it a username and password error. I have no idea how to fix the problem.

The interesting thing is that when I tried to log on using the terminal window and it connected and asked for my username I put that in fine and then it asked for my password and it wouldn't let me type anything like the keyboard was frozen. Why would it let me put it my username then not my password. If that was happening when I connected normally would that be the reason I got the error? Has anybody seen this problem before?

I could really use some help. I search through the forums but I did find anything so I decided to post. I would really like to use knoppix more, but I need to have internet access. Could someone help me please.

eon
01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
If you type "man pppd" and the enter key at a terminal you will have alot of reading material.
"19 We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer" is the exact defination from the manual.

Sometimes this means that noauth has not been selected in kppp or in the /etc/ppp/options file.
There are other files that could be causing this problem too. You can try putting "noauth" in the kppp
options set up. Usually this option is already selected though. If that doesn't fix the problem you might
want to re-do your pppd configuration

starting over with configuration.
1) delete any dialout accounts you have. You should check your /etc/ppp files and delete
any files with your isp name on/in them. If you used "pppconfig" to set up your
internet you might want to delete old connections that way.
2) Use "pppconfig" to set up your modem and connection. This creates the correct files
in /etc/ppp To use pppconfig just type that. as root, at a terminal.
3) set up kppp for ease of dial out.

Good luck

Darkman348
01-12-2005, 09:18 PM
I tried the pppconfig and I got it all set up but when I went to Kppp and set it up again it still came up with exit status 19. I tried to go to /etc/ppp/peers/provider Sympatico which is my ISP but it said "permission denied" I did everything but it still not working. I could use some help I typed "pon" but that didn't help. It never connected. So what's up and how do I fix it. I'm using Knoppix 3.4

Thanks

eon
01-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Did you delete your previous configuration before running pppconfig?

You should make sure that there are no old configuration files around before
running pppconfig. As I said before look in /etc/ppp and remove those files.

If you are having problems deleting files open the kmenu>System>more programs>file manager super user mode.
You will need to enter your root password and then you should be able to navigate by gui to the /etc/ppp/ folder
and get rid of the old configuration.

In Kppp you might also check the set up; highlight or select your provider and click edit
check to see if noauth is already entered ( I'll give you more details if necessary but I can't
check my kppp while I'm using it)

Setting up pppd in some debian based systems is more difficult than it needs to be (IMO)
Let me know what happens and good luck

Darkman348
01-13-2005, 01:25 AM
Ihave no idea what the password is to get into the file manager is. Would anybody know?

eon
01-13-2005, 04:07 AM
It's your root password. This is a hard drive install right?
You had to create a root password when you did the install.

If you are running knoppix from the cd then there is no password.

You can also do "sudo konqueror" from a shell.

Darkman348
01-13-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm running off the cd. When I'm in konqueror and I go to /etc/ppp/ peer and I try to delete what is in it the isps says it doesn't exist. Is the fact that it's on a cd pretty much mean I can't connect to my ISP. I can't install it on the hard drive because it's not my computer. Trust me when I get my own it will be going on it. I've learned a lot from all this and that is pretty cool. I would really like to connect to my isp but if it won't let me delete the files I need to I'm going to have to hold off using Knoppix until I get my on computer and can install it on the hard drive. If there is anything more that I can do to get it working that would be great. If it doesn't I will wait and read so I more fully know how to use it when I get the chance to install it. I would like to use it though.

eon
01-13-2005, 04:02 PM
Ok, I didn't know you were running from cd. If you had a way to store your personal info
that would save you trouble. I forget exactly how to set that up (you could do a search)
Knoppix might allow you to save your files to a floppy.

As far as the isp and modem set up go I have one more idea.
Open a terminal (there's usually an icon on the toolbar)
type "su" (without the quotes) and when it asks you for your
password just press the enter key. Now type kppp you may
have to re-enter your modem and isp info.

Hope that works.

NeilE
01-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Darkman 348, you need your . . . . . . . No, forget that.
Linux people don't behave like that.
Welcome to the wonderfull world of Linux.
Now.
Have you thought about what you are trying to do?
Basically.
You are trying to reset someone else's computer and you don't have their permission.
Try asking the owner and see if they will let you use their ISP.

Cheers.

pureone
01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
when you normaly type in your password in console it will hide it from you......other then that i have no real idea how to help