PDA

View Full Version : On-CD system stop on /etc/fstab

ackelley
01-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I am trying to run Knoppix 3.7 from a CD. The machine has an old PIII 550 processor, 64MB RAM, AGP video card, PCI network card, ISA modem, 40x CD-RW, and a 15GB hard drive. It seems to detect the hardare OK, but when it gets to "looking for partitions and creating /etc/fstab" (that's not word-for-word), the system just stops and sits there. I thought maybe it would just take a long time because of the small amount of RAM, but I let it sit for nearly an hour and nothing happened. I tried this several times with the same result.

I also tried booting with the cheatcode "failsafe" and it actually worked. It was able to boot up in KDE, but of course because it didn't detect all of the hardware, my mouse didn't work and I just had to shut down. Since it worked with "failsafe", I tried removing anything that wasn't needed (i.e. modem, network card), but that didn't work either. It stopped at the same place. What else can I try? All that remains is the processor, RAM, video card, hard drive, and CD.

Any ideas? Do I need more RAM? Could the ISA slots cause a problem? Could the network checking cause trouble?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
01-12-2005, 10:46 PM
It should certainly run on that system, I would suggest that you try the nodma cheat code (I needed it in a system of that vintage with an old CD drive, but no longer need it on the same system now that I've swapped the CD drive).

Of course I'm hoping that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the ISO and that you burned the CD at 4x.

ackelley
01-12-2005, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure. My brother (who is somewhat of a linux geek) burned it for me. How do I do a checksum of the ISO? Thanks for the help!

ackelley
01-12-2005, 11:51 PM
I have a TDK 40x CD-RW that I just purchased 6 months ago. I swapped it into the system and got the same result. I'll dry the nodma cheat anyway...

Harry Kuhman
01-13-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm not sure. My brother (who is somewhat of a linux geek) burned it for me. How do I do a checksum of the ISO? Thanks for the help!
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ