PDA

View Full Version : Device manager?

VeeDubb
04-02-2003, 10:37 PM
Is there any program in knoppix or available elsewhere (preferaly through apt-get) that does what the device manager in Windows does? i.e. I want something that can list all the hardware of all types that the OS detects as being conected with basic info about each and sortable by category. THere MUST be sucha n app. It seems too obvious to not exist, but I'd appreciate it if somebody would point me inthe right direction.

rickenbacherus
04-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Knoppix 3.2 has the "info center' not sure if it's in 3.1 off hand.
Kmenu>system>infocenter.

VeeDubb
04-03-2003, 12:41 AM
Nope, doesn't look like it's there. I don't suppose it's available via apt-get? If so, what is the name? I tried apt-get install infocenter but that didn't work.

Stephen
04-03-2003, 01:50 AM
It looks like it is part of the KDE package so it should be installed if it is not in the menu try running the command kinfocenter.

VeeDubb
04-03-2003, 09:19 AM
It looks like it is part of the KDE package so it should be installed if it is not in the menu try running the command kinfocenter.

command not found

RockMumbles
04-03-2003, 05:35 PM
It appears that kinfocenter has just been separated from control center, in KDE 3.0 go to control center and then information and you'll get the system information. I don't think it's the same as the device manager in windows though, but it may help you with what you need.

rock

VeeDubb
04-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I found that. THe problem is that it has nothing to do with your hardware. If you tell you computer there's a knlingon bird of prey flying around in you case, that program would believe it. I was hoping for something that actualy scanned what is realy there and where it realy is.