PDA

View Full Version : HD Install on FAT32/DOS ?

Loki
12-23-2002, 07:07 AM
I'm wondering if this could be done at all,
perhaps with loadlin ? HELP !

:)

Jaap Aap (Jape Ape)
12-23-2002, 11:02 AM
That is just what anybody, who is NOT a linux guru, is looking for!
The distributed cd works great on my pc,
EVERYTHING works.....!!!!
All in a few minutes. Tell Bill this is the way to go.

The only nag comes when starting an application then everything is loaded from the cd.

Is there some undetected feature that lets's one just copy the whole cd to either a blank or formatted harddisk and run from there???

Hythum
01-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Why dont they do it if its everybody's wish. It woud be really a good next tep for linux newbies after exploring the run fom cd option ( and faster!)

Hythum

Hythum
01-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Why dont they do it if its everybody's wish. It woud be really a good next tep for linux newbies after exploring the run fom cd option ( and faster!)

Hythum

oldhippy
01-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Same problem for me, I just tried to install on a new machine right out of the box and no luck. Go to GENERAL SUPPORT and read my post under printing on page 2

01-30-2003, 01:24 AM
I have an idea that might work (in theory). You know how when you can't boot knoppix from a CD by changing the bios settings so you have to use a boot floppy. In theory, couldn't you change the boot settings on the floppy to point at eg. a folder on your harddrive containing the knoppix CD and the certain files needed to boot it instead of the CD-rom? This could possibly run Knoppix a lot faster and give you the ability to save any settings or files.

boehmb
01-30-2003, 04:10 AM
There must be a way to boot off the hard drive as if it were the CD-ROM drive. I copied the Knoppix CD to a folder on my FAT32 hard drive after reading in a post that it should work, and made the boot floppy from the Knoppix CD, but Knoppix couldn't find the folder on the HD. I did not look at the files on the floppy. Maybe they can be altered to point Knoppix to the HD. After all, the files are the same whether they are on CD or floppy, right?

krazy_sportz_guy25
01-30-2003, 11:18 PM
I'm going to try copying the Knoppix CD to the HD and try to edit the floppy boot disk. I'll get back to you all after I've tried it.

Berdt
01-31-2003, 01:37 AM
I am sorry guys!
But running linux from Fat32 will never work. For example, linux is using symbolic links, Fat doesn't support that.
But why are you guys using FAT anyway?
Never heard of NTFS ?

tuxtom
01-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Is there some undetected feature that lets's one just copy the whole cd to either a blank or formatted harddisk and run from there???
It's not an undected feature - it was discussed here and in www.linuxtag.org/forum several times.
Just mount the knoppix cdrom in windows,
---------------- :shock: sorry this is wrong :shock: ------------------
make a c:\knoppix dir and
copy the contents of the cd to c:\knoppix.
------------------------ use this instead ---------------------
copy the \knoppix dir from the cd to c:\

Make a boot floppy with mkfloppy.bat.

:P And - using the boot floppy knoppix will boot from your FAT partition :lol:
of cause it's not running from FAT - its running from the decompressed C:\knoppix\knoppix.

It's just like booting from cdrom - and you can use your cd drive or burner.

It's also possible to run knoppix this way without a boot disk, using a linux boot manager (lilo or grub)
but that's another story.

tom

boehmb
01-31-2003, 08:46 PM
So, the Knoppix files copied from the CD must be in the root directory of a FAT or FAT32 disk to boot Knoppix, correct? Will there be any adverse effects on the hard drive since it has Windoze on it?

boehmb
02-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Well, I tried the procedure tuxtom outlined above and it works! With the boot floppy made with mkfloppy.bat and the Knoppix files on the hard drive (in the root directory), Knoppix boots off the C: drive very quickly and doesn't disturb my Windoze 98SE installation. The only thing is, you still have to save your configuration files to a floppy. And, while booting, after the boot floppy is done (after Knoppix mounts hda1) you have to swap the boot floppy for your config floppy. But it works, and all the apps load lightning fast! I'm happy. Now, if only your configuration files can be saved on the hard drive and read at boot up. Hmmmm...

krazy_sportz_guy25
02-01-2003, 07:29 PM
Can it work in a folder in the C drive? Can't you put a bootloader on a floppy and set it to boot from a folder on the c drive with knoppix in it? If so, how would you do it (I'm not very experienced) :D

boehmb
02-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Just copy the Knoppix folder from the CD to the root directory on your hard drive. You are copying a folder to your hard drive, not separate files. Then, make a boot floppy from the batch file "mkfloppy.bat" on the Knoppix CD. It works great. If you have a configuration floppy you made with Knoppix to save all your settings, you will have to swap the boot floppy for the config floppy after Knoppix starts to boot from the HD.

tuxtom
02-02-2003, 04:45 AM
It's also possible to run knoppix this way without a boot disk, using a linux boot manager (lilo or grub)
but that's another story.
Here's the other story!
I created a primary partition size 1 cyl ~ 8 MB as hda1.
To this partition I dumped the /KNOPPIX/boot-de.img from the cd.

# dd if=boot-de.img of=/dev/hda1
Ok, with this I wasted 7 MB of disk space, but KNOPPIX runs without a boot diskette.
To use this with lilo, just put to /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda1
label="KNOPPIX cd"and run lilo again

With grub, put to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Knoppix cd
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

tom

oscar
02-06-2003, 05:57 AM
I'm wondering if this could be done at all,
perhaps with loadlin ? HELP !

:)

Copy CD KNOPPIX folder in C:\KNOPPIX
copy miniroot.gz and vmlinux in c:\ (they are in boot.img). Extract with winimage or from floppy created with mkfloppy.bat

then put this in C:\knx.bat

c:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz rw lang=en floppyconf root=/dev/hda1 initrd=c:\miniroot.gz console=null acpi=off screen=800x600

(put floppy with saved configuratiuon in A:\)

example with more options
C:\loadlin.exe c:\vmlinuz lang=en ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init noapic apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=C:\miniroot.gz screen=800x600 quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix

ironstorm
02-07-2003, 03:10 AM
If someone were ambitous they could proably build a UMSDOS installer script for Knoppix to copy into C:\Linux... I once played with running Debian:Slink from a 800MB Fat drive (when I had Win95)....

The other possiblity would be UVFAT, which doesn't mangle the names under VFAT(FAT32)....

The kernel needs to have UMSDOS/UVFAT support built in for it to work be able to mount and boot properly.

Anyway check out http://linux.voyager.hr/umsdos/ for details

-G

sepht
02-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Ah, Tom...
You do know youre ordering won ton soup to all us newbies out here.
javascript:emoticon(%27%3Awink%3A%27)
If I understand you at all though, I want to ask if you did the same kind of install that we did, ie copying cd contents to folder. Cuz it sounds like you are editing system files there, and on cd copy all I've seen is that all sysfiles are compressed and unreachable...
Confuscious Confused
~S~

al
02-19-2003, 05:22 PM
I tried.
The partition created must be a Linux partition.
It works, but the boot connot be made by Partition Magic, only by Lilo.
So you have to boot first and go to a Linux partition with lilo and then choose the new boot as indicated.

It seems to work only if no parameters are given. As soon as one want to give some, it hangs. May be some files are missing somewhere.

All this suggest that one can also create a 700M partition (a Linux one) and put on it the iso image of the cd rom. I did not tried.

Zootje
02-25-2003, 04:19 AM
I just found this one a few minutes ago:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html#installationprocedure

Could be useful for whoever wants more, I haven't tried it yet but will do that tomorrow.