PDA

View Full Version : How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?

honigbaer
01-15-2005, 09:33 AM
Thanks to Knoppix, I became re-motivated to experiment with Linux since I gave up early attempts years ago.
Meanwhile I installed Asterisk a.s.o. and found that Knoppix is a perfect environment for this, especially one
is a Linux beginner :wink:

Today, I have one itching question and hope some of the experts out here could solve this:

- during installation, found hardware was written into /etc/modules.

Switching the hdd from one PC to the other therefore results in problems.

Refering to /etc/modules is nice in terms of speeding up the bootup process, but

- how could I switch back to "autoconfigure" like the CD does, so I am more flexible?

or

alternatively, how could I force the autoconfig thru a lilo append command, so if you just switched
to a new PC, I would run autoconfig once and have the modules.conf rewritten?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Rob

Bod
01-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Hi Rob,

> alternatively, how could I force the autoconfig thru a lilo append command, so if you just switched
> to a new PC, I would run autoconfig once and have the modules.conf rewritten?

this is exactly what I am looking for. Have you tried to run /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig as root? It *should* work,
at least it claims to re-detect hardware, but obviously didn't detect the device I want to integrate.

Good luck!

Bod

CrashedAgain
01-16-2005, 05:38 AM
If you do a Knoppix-style HD install it should autoconfigure everything with each boot. Sounds like the right approach for a HD that will be switched from one machine to another.

honigbaer
01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Deleting the file /etc/modules-2.4.27 results in "autoconfiguring devices" next time Knoppix boots.

So, doing this manually BEFORE switching to another machine is at least something....!

Still looking for an approach for this to become an option right before booting on a new machine.....

@crashedagain
Looks like it's not a Knoppix problem, but one of my general lack of understanding linux...
So this looks now becoming

I get kernel panic one my 2nd machine trying to boot my knoppix-hdd from PC-1.
On my 2nd machine the hdd is connected to the internal PCI-IDE interface (IDE-0),
on my "original" knoppix machine the hdd is connected to an Enhanced-IDE-card, which appears
to be a SCSI interface to that PC's Bios (it's an older one, which doesn't recognize 40G-HDDs,
so I have to use this IDE-card).

The HDD is partioned to hde1 (boot) to hde3 -> Windows, FAT32 primary
hde5-6 is logical extended FAT32
hde7 is swap
hde8 is ext3 (knoppix)
hde9 is ext3

On the 2nd machine, everything would try to access in "hda-" ?.

Interesting though, I can boot windows from lilo menu, but when I try to access my Linux entries thru lilo, it starts
to load Linux, the penguin comes up, but after the first few messages I get "attempt to kernel panic".

Any hint....?

Thnx![/b]