PDA

View Full Version : Yet another password question :(

active95
04-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Hello to all Knoppix gurus.
Like the post says , this is another password question :(
Basicaly i need to change the screen rez it asks me for the root password. And despide the fact that i did leave the space blank ( for the password ) it still doesn't want to budge,
Now i did read about the su... command , but since i'm a newbie trying to get away from windoze, don't know what to do next. As in , what do i need to change/replace the darn root password.
Appreciate any input
P.S I choose the Knoppiz since i don't have to partition the hdd in the windoze box

Stephen
04-03-2003, 01:12 AM
When you boot the computer to the lilo screen you see boot: just below the menu type linux single then enter which will boot you to a root prompt type passwd then enter type in your new password confirm it and re-boot (at the prompt type shutdown -r now then enter) your new password will be set.

Stephen
04-03-2003, 01:29 AM
I think I may have mis-read your question if you are booting from cdrom use the cheat codes to change the screen resolution ie. at the boot: knoppix screen=800x600 use F2 key to see your options. If you want to execute a command as root user use sudo <command> instead of su.

The post above is for a HD install.

active95
04-03-2003, 01:48 AM
Hii Stephen <Knoppix Master> :)
U're right it's doesn't work with the cd rom boot. But you did gave me an ideea. In KDE , i clicked the K then Knoppix then Shell. Now in Shell i pressed the Enter and i was able to input a new password and able to change res.
But :lol: now it asks me to restart session. And of course if i restart the settings are gone.
Could i ask what should i do know, to preserve the settings ? Of course beside using the cheats that you suggested?
Again i do appreciate it a lot
Long live the open source :)

Stephen
04-03-2003, 02:27 AM
You should just be re-starting the xsession not re-booting the computer. From the Kmenu choose logout when the window comes up choose login as different user. When you have the login screen you should see a menu option choose it and then the re-start xserver menu option to re-start X with your new settings. Then Log back in. Although I don't know if this works on the CD or not I run from HD.

If all it wants you to do is re-start the xsession and not re-boot your settings should take effect.

aay
04-03-2003, 04:52 AM
Try this.

Open a console.

Type: "sudo kxconfig"
Change your rez.
Save and Close kxconfig
In the console type 'init 3' (this will kill x but won't shut knoppix down)
type init 5 (or startx)

Your rez should be changed.

The newest version of Knoppix has kxconfig I'm not sure about previous versions.