PDA

View Full Version : Klik on Slackware?

Garibaldi
01-16-2005, 12:15 AM
I was just wondering if there is any planned support for klik on slackware. I know that slackware isn't debian based but it is similar, would it be possible to use klik on a slackware install?

probono
01-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).

Greetings,
probono

Garibaldi
01-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Probably that's not as easy because every installation of Slackware tends to have different packages installed, whereas klik needs some "common ground" (as Live CDs offers).
Is there any way to get around that so klik would work? I can give you the specific version of Slackware that I am using, its called Topologilinux and can be found here: www.topologilinux.com. It is basically Slackware 10.0

probono
01-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Please try to klik some simple apps, e.g. klik://apg and look whether they run. Also try some more complicated ones, e.g. klik://bidwatcher - we need to know whether it works in principle. Then we will see what we can do.

Greetings,
probono

lilsirecho
01-19-2005, 10:11 PM
Probono;
I clicked on Bidwatcher from archlinuxOS boot-up and it came up fine.

I have a question regarding the system...

The files are termed .cmg files and you refer to the files as compressed image files and have stated they are probably 50% compressed.

When downloaded to desktop, they are called .cmg files. The connotation thusly means that they are compressed files within the file system. Therefore, it would seem also since Knoppix is "on-the-fly-decompressed" , that these additional "compressed files" are also "on-the-fly-decompressed" by another decompressor.

If I am incorrect, please straighten me out.

By the way, the .cmg files I have on my desktop run with a single mouse click..I have a dozen with
bidwatcher now...opera.cmg works great.

Does .cmg actually load into my filesystem as a compressed file?

Does it load into KnoppixLiveCD as a compressed file?

probono
01-19-2005, 10:21 PM
You are correct. The cmg file contains a compressed filesystem (cramfs) which is mounted automagically as you klick on it and decompressed on the fly as you use the application. This is directly comparable to the compressed Knoppix filesystem (only difference is that Knoppix uses cloop while klik uses cramfs in order to be compatible with more distributions, but the principle is the same).

Greetings,
probono

lilsirecho
01-19-2005, 10:35 PM
One last comment..

Opera.cmg on my desktop has...properties=4.4MB ... and is opera.cmg.

I assume from what uou are saying that the real size of opera when installed as a normal application is twice 4.4MB. This is not seen because it is decompressed "on the fly" with cramfs.

Nicht wahr?

Garibaldi
05-07-2005, 12:12 AM
One last comment..

Opera.cmg on my desktop has...properties=4.4MB ... and is opera.cmg.

I assume from what uou are saying that the real size of opera when installed as a normal application is twice 4.4MB. This is not seen because it is decompressed "on the fly" with cramfs.

Nicht wahr?
Ok thanks alot probono!! Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I've been very busy as of late. I'm going to try installing klik again, but I think the server is down so I'll try again later.

probono
05-07-2005, 09:05 PM
It seems as if Slackware uses a different version of glibc which seems to break binary compatibility. Unfortunately I don't know enough about the inner workings of glibc, but the people at autopackage do. However, their solution seems to recompile each package - something I would never be able to do.

Greetings,
probono

Garibaldi
05-29-2005, 03:16 AM
So basically it won't run on Slackware without considerable work?

Thanks,
Garibaldi

probono
05-29-2005, 08:51 AM
Unfortunatlely you are right.

Greetings,
probono