PDA

View Full Version : encryption of subdirectory

andrei
01-16-2005, 06:49 AM
Hi,

I would like to find an Knoppix app which would allow me to encrypt an subdirectory, preferably with the "regular" Knoppix or, alternatively, with Knoppix-STD. I would prefer a CLI app which would allow me to decrypt before storing data and reincrypt when I am done working. A one-way key would be ideal.

Could anyone point me to such an application?

Many thanks!

firebyrd10
01-16-2005, 07:21 PM
kpgp Might be what your looking for.
(I think thats the name)

garyng
01-17-2005, 12:49 AM
For truly security minded installation, I would suggest :

1. use cryptoloop or dm-crypt on top of a block device that is for private stuff
2. the same as (1) for swap device
3. mount /tmp to tmpfs
4. use the secured swap device for swap
5. mount a secured block device for private stuff(can even put the whole /home)

Then, it would be very much secure as one doesn't need to worry about encrypt/decrypt any more for intermediate process, just do it once on boot up.

Of course, make sure no one insert some trojan(like key logger etc. which will render any security measure defendless) into your system.

andrei
01-19-2005, 02:12 PM
kpgp Might be what your looking for.
(I think thats the name)

it does not seem to come with Knoppix (at least it is not mentioned in "Knoppix Hacks"). nor did I find it on the Knoppix-STD webiste (see http://www.knoppix-std.org/tools.html).

Where do I find it?

Thanks!

ThomasX
01-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Am I am right, that the cryptoloop device was in an older knoppix (3.3?), but not any more (since 3.4?)?

BTW: To have extra security against keylogger, you can copy/paste single characters from existing text. This is, what I always do in public internet shops.