PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Knoppix?

gretchen
04-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Alas, I know barely anyone else who uses Linux, (striving for converts but no luck yet) and when I do meet someone I occasionally end up making a fool of myself because I don't say things right. :oops: So how do you pronounce Knoppix?

no pics?
cano pics?

aay
04-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Alas, I know barely anyone else who uses Linux, (striving for converts but no luck yet) and when I do meet someone I occasionally end up making a fool of myself because I don't say things right. :oops: So how do you pronounce Knoppix?

no pics?
cano pics?

I read from one of Klaus' posts over at LinuxTag that it is pronounced with a hard k so your second suggestion should be right. To be honest though I never use this pronunciation. No one pronouncs linux the way that it is supposed to be pronounced so I'm not too worried about it.

gretchen
04-03-2003, 05:11 AM
Ahh, but I had long involved verbal battles with people about L in ucks or Lie nucks.....

People here have too much time on their hands. I resolved it by looking up the sound byte that has Linux Torvalds saying how he pronouces it. (Also used in sndconfig)

Hobby_1
04-04-2003, 02:21 AM
Hi Gretchen

I asked my German speaking mother-in-law this question 2 weeks ago. She said to pronounce the K. That's the way the Germans in the Elgin, Tx area do!

Hobby_1 :roll: