PDA

View Full Version : Net Send?

Nightmare
01-16-2005, 07:11 PM
i know windows xp supports 'net send' function which sends a pop-up message to other users.
to do this, i would go to 'run' -> cmd -> net send 'computer name' 'message'
(eg. net send xyz hello)
this is useful when you cannot be bothered to go to their rooms just to ask one question.

however when i tried to do this on knoppix 3.3, there was no such function.
(i totally forgot that xp isn't knoppix :lol: )

anyway the question is...
is there any function on knoppix that let's me send a message to another computer on network?

UnderScore
01-16-2005, 08:17 PM
First see this Google search why the windows messenger service (net send in win2k/xp or winpopup in win95/98 ) is a security risk (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&q=windows+messenger+service+exploit&btnG=Search). If you are still interested in the messenger service then see this listing as freshmeat.net http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=winpopup&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0.
I hope this helps.
James

phillipoliven
01-26-2005, 05:39 AM
smbclient -M XXXXXX

XXXXXX = netbios name of pc you are sending message to.

I have managed to make it work like this but I agree that allowing this service on a network poses a security risk.

tonysathre
02-24-2005, 07:56 PM
i actually exploited that security hole at my high school...i was on a computer messing with the dif net commands. so i uploaded a virus from home that nite and brought it to school...i logged on and opened the prompt and piped the a: drive that the virus was on and used the net send command and added a /username of another hacker in my school that i didnt like..the worm attached itself to the message that said HI and was transfered to every computer on the network. he got expelled cause it caused so much havoc.

Durand Hicks
02-26-2005, 06:35 PM
NIghtmare,

You can apt-get install linpopup which is the linux equivalent of winpopup.

HTH,

Durand